Spatial X5 speakers

Just got mine, with upgraded crossovers, a couple of weeks ago.  I now have about 250 hours on them - mostly driven by the Voyager Gan 350 wpc class D amp and most recently by Don Sachs 65 wpc tube amp.  Speaker Cables are Griver Huffman Pharoah's and the preamp is Don Sachs tube preamp.  They are easy to set up as they come fully assembled.  Right out of the box they sound promising but the bass is cardboard like and the tweeter can sound harsh.  Nevertheless, after about 175 hours, these babies developed a pleasing midrange liquidity and nice open baffle bass.  They throw an expansive soundscape that extends beyond the width of the toed in speakers that is also deep front to back.  I mean, these speakers truly disappear as in my listening spot nothing localizes to the speaker itself.  Both amps drive these speakers nicely.  The Sachs amp defitely sounds better using the 8 not 4 ohm speaker posts.  I am now getting air with very nice detail and tonal colors.  

These speakers are just awesome.  They are worth every penny I paid for them.  Clayton warned me about the prolonged break in time and he was dead on the money.  I just love the OB box less sound.  These speakers are awesome.

I hope this thread does not degenerate into a toxic pussing contest like my Voyager Gan amplifier thread.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjaymark

@lewinskih01 I just plugged the Townshend supertweeter into my lakehouse system.  They make a very pleasing and positive difference.  

@jaymark glad to read that!

Looking forward to your experiment with the X5. You probably can improvise something to hold them for an initial test. On paper the height of the AMT plus waveguide should be an issue for a crossover that high, but then I have tried a number of things that on paper were supposed to sound bad but actually sounded pretty good. Like my MTM with this AMT and twin 8" xo at 1.7-1.8kHz...supposedly lobbing would be pretty bad - but has not been. I hope you discover a gem!

I realize most people here aren't into DIY and only a minority use active speakers, but wanted to share I added a Yamamoto 45-type SET to drive this Beyma AMT tweeter in open baffle, same as with X3 & X5, and I'm very very happy. These AMT have a flat impedance that seems to work well with SET and the 45 has more than enough power to handle this tweeter in OB. Very natural, open, detailed, no harshness, even though just a few hours broken in. I guess the X3 & X5 would be great candidates for active xo.

I now have > 600 hours on my Spatial X5s.  They have improved to my ears even beyond 500 hours of play.  These speakers throw a beautiful, detailed sounscape that exceeds what I have gotten out of even excellent box speakers.  Their liquidity is just about perfect.  To my ears, too much liquidity is artificial and thus undesirable.  Superb speakers.