Blue Circle Gear?

I'm considering a used BC 21.1 preamp. I've never owned a Blue Circle piece. Since they're no longer in business, what are your general thoughts on their gear in general as far as build quality, reliability and sonics? And any particular thoughts on their preamps in particular, esp. the BC 21.1?

greg7

BC made some great sounding gear. No doubt about it. Good value used if you pay 25-30% of retail at most. Why? He built the amps with copious amounts of white epoxy holding the electrolytic caps in place. This goop covers all the caps and connections to the caps.

These caps do age and will need replacing now. What a major hassle to try and work on these now! This is enough to keep me away from the power amps.

The preamp in question is much easier to work on. He still used a clear epoxy to hold the caps and parts in place, but the goop is not everywhere like in his amps.

Any good tech can work on the preamp as the circuit is straightforward. Replacing the old electrolytic caps is still going to be a bit of a hassle with the epoxy build design. It can be done, but a hassle. These caps will need replacing as they are now some 19 years old! Figure this into the cost.

Post removed 

I was also interested in BC products but every time I saw them used, they were WAY overpriced ... products by manufacturer that no longer exist must be purchased at a good discount because they will have to be checked by a tech and it could be complicated to have them repaired if they break down ...

i still use gilbert's tlp power conditioners in the clear goo inside the pvc pipes... those seem to work well

Had a BC DAC for a number of years , good sounding and trouble free. I still have in my main system a BC6000 power conditioner that also has been trouble free and positive SQ benefits