Audio Research or Luxman?

I recently acquired a 1973 Luxman L-507 integrated amp only to learn that the volume/balance control pots are bad and can't be replaced, but I was able to bypass the pre-amp section and run it with the amp section only, and oh my, did it sound good.

I was very surprsed to find that its sound quality came too close in sound quality to my ARC separates: a Reference 3 preamp and Ref 75SE amp. So now I'm wondering how a modern Luxman like a l-505uXii or 507uXii would compare with my ARC separates. 

Any thoughts anyone?

audiojerry

Also, check FleaBay, many Japan vendors of vintage Luxman gear, perhaps they have a line on parts in country…

Thanks for all the comments so far. I recently purchased both ARC's used, and had both serviced by an authorized dealer. All tubes measred well, and bias settings are correct and have barely drifted since acquiring the amp.

The original pots are from Alps and not longer available. I'd try finding Japan sources. Do you, tomic601, have more information on that or Fleaboy?

I should state that I am thrilled with the sound quality of my ARC gear.

Erik: are you predicting each of the current 505, 507, and 509 will be phased out soon?  They all still say “ New” on the site. 

@kren0006 

I sure hope not!! It was something another A'goner told me via private message when he was looking to buy.

Their prime competitor, ,Accuphase, though does offer a lot of flexibility, including built in DACs in their units. I would not mind seeing an all-in-one Luxman integrated that included a DAC in it, but I'm all out of cash for this lifetime.

Ok, just checking because you said “50x line”, which I interpreted to mean all three. Did you mean just the 505, or what exactly is being discontinued