More expensive = better?

Because I have never owned any very high end gear I’m wondering if an $8000 integrated amp will sound jaw dropping better than a $5000 one? Right now my system is Parasound JC2 and SMC Audio DNA1 Gold. 

Thanks in advance,

Ben

honashagen

Just moved from Bluesound Powenode 2i to NAD M33.  Along with switching from $20 generic cable from Amazon to Black Cat Cable CopperZone FLATWAVE speaker cable.  I have tears in my eye.

I was thinking about Hegel H590, how much better it is than the M33, I can't be sure.  Those who have heard both said H590 is better, at double the cost and much less functionality also.

In the end, you just have to make peace with it and be happy with your choices, otherwise, you will be chasing ghosts.

At some point some audio equipment became either Art, Or a fashon statement, or both. Your pretty $6000 speaker wire sure sounds nice. I'm sure glad I went to school to learn about such things. 

You have to compare apples to apples. Price can reflect things such as built-in DAC card, phono section and/or headphone. The casework can add extra cost (engraving, anodizing, finish, CNC artwork, etc.).  Also, if it is sold direct it's about half the price a dealer would charge. Can't really generalize an answer on a dollar for dollar basis with respect to sound quality.

I’d humbly propose widening the lens.  Assuming legit manufacturers, etc, a $150,000 preamp+amp(s) combo will always sound better than a $5000 integrated.  It just will, even to the most jaded among us.  Sure sure, you could have your quips, but it won’t be a serious comparison.  So, in a sense, “a lot more expensive” usually does sound better.  Turning to the OP’s specifics, comparing an $8000 amp to a $5000 amp could be pretty much like comparing a Coke to a Pepsi.  (Except without the decades of history proving that Coke is better.)

I think about it in categories, just as a rough guide.  5-10k amplifiers, for example, are all on the same footing.  Use your ears.  5 v 20?  Decent chance 20 wins.  5 v 50?  I’d bet a chunk of cash that 50 wins.