Weakest digital link: DAC - Streamer - Server?

I am curious WHICH of the three is MOST important in digital playback? DAC, Streamer, or Server? I assume DAC is #1, but what about server/streamer?

Specifically, I have a Synology NAS which I can host ALL my music on, then using a good streamer play off it via Roon/Upnp, PLUS my streaming services.  Does it make sense to use a SEPARATE server JUST for my music? 

Like is there going to be MUCH difference between these setups?!

1. NAS (music server) --> Good Streamer (ethernet, Roon) --> DAC

2. Dedicated Music Server --> Same streamer (ethernet, Roon) --> DAC

3. Dedicated Music Server with streamer (digital out) --> DAC

I understand for SURE, if one connects a NAS USB out to streamer/DAC it will sound WORSE than dedicated music server with low noise components, BUT if I am sending the music over ethernet to a good streamer, WHY would a music server make ANY difference? The streamer would essentially take the same files off my NAS, as if would from Tidal and play in the same fashion... no?! 

WHAT am I missing?!

PS. I can also upgrade the NAS with linear PSU to lower noise, but once again, sending audio through ethernet shouldn't matter.

alexb76

Jason Bourne I think you're quite wrong about that, anything under four figures won't sound very good at all and you're also wrong about transports they do sound different, that's why esoteric makes the best ones and everybody else is second and third

There are 4 elements to an excellent streaming setup. The Network, The Streamer, The Music Server, The DAC.

The network, streamer and DAC are the most important in equal measure. Skimp on any of these and you won’t get there.

The music server is a convenience device in my view. Pay more to get easy ripping and nice user interface and easy library management. Pay less if you’re more techie and can do a lot of manual file shifting. My music server is a Raspberry Pi with 2TB drive attached, it’ll sound the same as any other fancy server if you’ve got your other three elements right, in equal measure.

My system:

Network switch, network cables & RFI filtering - £3000

Streamer - £3000

DAC - £3000

Very manual techie Music server - £100

I'll stick to answering your question.

guess my next question is, WHICH streamer/DAC, under $2K, would do the job best playing files off my NAS PLUS having Tidal/Spotify Connect?

Cambridge Audio CXN v2,  there are others more expensive.

@arafiq Will do! I hadn't looked into the network switcher yet, but will absolutely report back on the Phoenix. As for the 005, I was shocked at how good it is. Holographic sound and microdynamics galore! The Zenith MK3 is my only venture into a streamer/server, but upgraded from an X26 Pro DAC and definitely worth it! The Musetec 005 and my SU-R1000 MC phono stage with DSP have me in disbelief most days at what I'm hearing and how things sound.

Two great affordable products, one for streaming, the other for bluetooth...the Grace Digital Link $179, and the Topping Bc-3 bluetooth aptx hd module $69. So, for what amounts to about $250 you have a nice sounding, yet cost effective streaming/bluetooth option. Use the DAC of your choice.