Bluesound Node2 with outboard DAC

I love the Node2 and was wondering if anyone uses it with an outboard dac for improved sonics. If I added a 2 or 3k dac would the Node2 limit it's performance or would I be better off with a streamer/dac at around 3.5k used? Thanks.

joeyfed55

Hi Op...many of us go through this transition.

I decided to get a streamer/DAC - I went with Moon's 280D (which is about $3k) that is a definitive step up from the Node 2i.

I do like Bluesound's interface and if Moon didn't have a good interface as well - perhaps the Node 2i would have stayed in the chain for ease of use.

I'm curious what the rest of your system includes because recently I upgraded to the Moon 390 - upgrading both my DAC and my preamp.  And I've seen used Moon 390 on Audiogon recently for about $3.5

The DAC in the Node 2 is not the best.  Adding an external DAC will improve sound and yes, eventually the Node would be limiting.  I wouldn't pair it with a Rockna Signature but a Chord Qutest, Questyle CMA 12 or 15, etc... woudld be a good match. 

One note, whatever you do.  Turn the clock off on the Node 2.  It will improve performance.  

Hi Op...many of us go through this transition.

Or evolution?

I had a Sonos back in the paleo period. Then got an outboard DAC.  Then had W4S mode the Sonos , Then got a DACless Bryston BDP for for a streamer.  Then on to a ROON Core running on SGC ST.  modest Upgraded to cabling.   All with nice little bumps in SQ along the way. Sitting tight now. 

Its just a personal pref thing but I like keeping everything separate for obvious reasons.  Especially with the DAC technology chugging along as it is.