Great Classical Recordings

Hello Great Hive of Knowledge -- and Opinion --

I can’t find what I am looking for. I know many great classical performances but not one that is actually RECORDED well in the sense that Muddy Watter’s Falk Singer is a great recording. Best I can describe it is you hear instruments arranged in space (a sort of sculpture), not a mush of sound. I am especially interested in operas and symphonies. but would also like to hear about smaller ensemble work 

Thank you in advance.

petar3

I have Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos by Jordi Savall

ALIA Vox SACD      1991

Very Good.

This is much better than the original LP or CD but, imho, it ain’t a great recording. OTOH, it is a great performance.

To me, IMHO, a great performance, is a great recording.

Cheers

I have Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos by Jordi Savall

ALIA Vox SACD      1991

Very Good.

This is much better than the original LP or CD but, imho, it ain’t a great recording. OTOH, it is a great performance.

I was not referring to this recording.  I was referring to Kleiber/Beethoven.

To me, IMHO, a great performance, is a great recording.

Sure, sure but we are talking about the quality of the reproduction here.  

Savall's Beethoven Revolution is opening my eyes -- better to say, ears -- to classical music in a new way. Many thanks. will try to find and listen to others. 

SACD might play a role, not just the recording, I am beginning to realize. 

Glad I asked. 

@petar3

Saying that you are interested in Operatic and symphonic recordings and then offering up Muddy Waters Folk Singer as an ideal gives no indication at all as to what you really want in a classical recording. Recording a symphony or opera is an entirely different challenge.

Even with symphonic recordings there are all sorts of techniques. And what you prefer may not only be personal, but may depend upon your set-up and what it can accurately decode.

For example some of us like older recordings providing more of the room acoustic.* Some may prefer modern, so called "live," recordings with microphones closer to the instruments.** It’s time for you to listen to some, at random perhaps, and decide what works for you. Streaming allows you to do that very efficiently.

*Rachmaninov Symphony 1 Ashkenazy, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

**Beethoven Symphony 3 Honeck, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra