Turntable upgrade recommendations: SME vs AMG vs Technics vs other

I've recently upgraded most of my system, but I still have a Rega P8, with Linn Krystal cartridge, which I like, but I've heard that there may be better options.

I have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers, Ypsilon Hyperior amplifiers, an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 pre-amplifier, and am thinking about an Ypsilon phono stage to match with my system, and a turntable/cartridge.  I listen to almost entirely classical, acoustic music. 

Based on my very limited knowledge, and simple research, I've been looking at three brands, each of which is a different type of turntable: SME (suspension), AMG (mass), and Technics (direct drive).  
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of turntables, and of those in particular?

Thanks.   

drbond

@solypsa 

I am looking at the top end of the manufacturers:  so I was considering the Technics SP10R or SL1000R, the AMG Viella V12 (or similar), or the SME 30/2 or similar.  

If all the turntables are as good as another, then I suppose I would go with the Technics, due to ease of moving/fewer parts.  If that's the case, then I suppose it just comes down to the tonearm/cartridge, and less so for the turntable?

All three are good, this does not mean they sound the same of course. The SP10R offers you the chance to pick the plinth ( one with two arm mounts might be nice...since you are a classical music buff there are a lot of old mono records you might wish to try) as well as tonearm making some personal choices. Have you heard any of these yet?

No. The problem is that there are no audio shops within 2 hours of where I live. It’s an audiophile desert here, so I was hoping to get some idea of the differences in sound between the different turntables, if any. . .

To give you an idea of what it's like in Florida, I called about 3 shops, all 2+ hours away when I needed a turntable repair on my Rega P8.  None of them were willing to step up, so I shipped my turntable to NY for a new cartridge installation.  So, essentially, I will probably end up buying a used one unheard. 

I would add Brinkmann to your list also. With the mass TT you should IMO run them on a base like HRS ( there are other brands also but Brinkmann work directly w HRS. Any of the three TT you mentioned are great, just different. Hopefully you can get some Florida help although at the level you seek you should travel to hear the gear.

best to you

jim