How to tame a bright system?

Hi all,

I have been facing a problem, the brightness of my system:

Bluesound n130  --- Chord dave ---- audioquest fire (xlr) ---- Etude  ---- copper wire ---- B&W 606s2.

The brightness shows up, particularly after I upgrade the cable from the chord company clearway (RCA) to the AQ fire (XLR).  AQ fire really improved everything. However, the high frequency is too cristal to my ears (especially the "ding, ding" sound from the piano, I believe most of the people would love it but not me .... ).  I like the cheap clearway, but it does not have the excellent bass and the dynamic offered by fire. I also tried with AQ Mackenzie (copper) which gives a proper sound but lacks space. I also found the vocal of fire is a bit forward (I am not really big fun of forwarding vocal).

Can someone help to recommend a cable that has everything of clearway but more dynamic and extension at the low end? I think this would be an ideal cable for my current system.

If possible, please help to focus on the cable rather than the other components. I know there is a lot to improve, but not at the moment.  Thanks a lot guys!  ;-) 

tension255

B&W speakers, although nice, as I’ve owned a pair, can slice the top of your head off with the harsh at times treble. I don't have this problem with either my tannoys or Wharfedales.

Bought a pair of ProAc Tablettes 30 years ago. Did not get along with them and found no solution other than new speakers.

2nd suggestion for Nobsound springs. Get 2 sets and place them under your amp, then the DAC. Guaranteed to make the sound mellow and treble less tinny, sounding fuller, lusher and more analog. The only disadvantage is you need to spend some time and effort in getting the spring configuration right. For the price they are quite a bargain.

Good isolation for your equipment and speakers will bring a more natural sound to the system.. Percussion and cymbals will sound more natural and real with a more accurate tone when the gear are properly isolated.  Ditto the midrange and bass.  Do give it a try.

Tension - I use a Schiit Loki (the small one) to resolve the exact issue you are talking about. It runs in the processor loop on my receiver and is completely transparent. Only $150 too. If you get it and don't like it, I am looking for another one and will buy it from you. Just get the black one - I already have a silver one.

Geoff

@snarfie23 Two great points.  Room acoustics were my first thought too.  Is there a hard floor between you and the speakers?  If so, try adding a rug.  And a second great point, no electronic solution can correct for a problem with acoustics.  Period.