Jantzen Wax Coil or Mundorf M-Coil CFC

Hi Everyone,

Need to build a new crossover for my Tannoy Monitor Red. My first choice for inductor is Mundorf Copper Air , M-Coil CFC. But it don't have the value I need and so I have to ask Mundorf to custom made it for a price. Then I found the Jantzen Copper Wax Coil, which looks fancy and cheaper. However, Can't find any review online. 

I am wondering if anyone has experience with these coil and which is better? 

thanks
Vic
viclauyyc

We can upgrade the tweeter and woofer wiring easily enough. The midrange is made up of 14 forward firing tweeters on each cabinet, 28 in total, and a harness of some kind. Also, they may be in an enclosure, don’t know. There is a rear firing tweeter and mid also, but I am not concerned about that. I am considering whether to upgrade the wire for the woofer and tweeter drivers, but not the mids. If unpleasant, go back to stock.  I have Cardas Clear Beyond speaker cables and access to synergistic Cardas hookup wire with similar geometry.  The hookup wire was used in later model Merlin speakers and was also part of an upgrade package.

My USB and XLR cables are DIY copper foil. 

Speaker cables are 12 gauge Neotech Solid OCC Copper DIY

Internal cables, including crossover are 14 Gauge Neotech Solid OCC copper

Once you build your crossover, just try out a few different ones, see what sounds best in your application. Every speaker is different. 

Must be a tad tricky soldering foil type conductors to those mini usb solder tabs! 

@grannyring My dac doesn’t use the Power and Ground connectors.

It was hard at first, but I have gotten very good at it :) The trick is in the fold at the very ends.   

I use 16 gauge Mundorf foil for my cables. 17mm wide.

And yes, they sound incredible.

Are Jantzen Wax Coil inductors the best solution for mid-bass crossover?

How do they compared to Solen Hepta Litz Inductors?

How do they compared to vintage iron core inductors?