How to set up Velodyne dd15

I have a velodyne DD15. I set it up using the auto correction setup. Now i amm reading this isn't the best way to set it up, leading to poor 2ch results.
What is the best way to set it up for music? I don't have a RTA. I do have the Rives test cd and Radio Shack meter if that helps in setup. Thanks.
streetdaddy
Hi Streetdaddy,

I run my speakers in parallel to the Velodyne...meaning i do not 'cut off' my 2 main speakers at all using the Velodyne. i run the signal straight from my amp to my speakers...and run a separate signal straight from my preamp to the Velodyne.

At that point, i cut the Velodyne off from playing anything higher than 40hz. i use a steep 48db filter to really kill off the signal above that level...for some reason, it works well in my room...possibly due to nodes and other things i have not measured/bothered to investigate. seems to work to my ear.
Streetdaddy

if you wish to use your Velodyne's internal crossover, please let me know what speakers you are using. That makes an enormous difference. Full range vs bookshelf speakers will have very different low-end capability which will dramatically change was crossover/cut off you use to blend the sub to the speakers.

In general, i have found running in parallel to provide a more balanced range...but on my first bookshelves, i did find the bass on them was so loose at high volume/low end, it was partly ameliorated when i used the internal crossover.

let us know your speakers, and we can take it from there. i'm no expert but happy to help having used Velodyne in all my systems for 15 yrs or so.
If you use auto setup and have big dips or bumps, you have to move the sub. I agree with the other posts so far. You need to have the sub in the right place 1st.
Tim
If the DD outputs it's response to video like the SMS-1, adjust for flat response and tweak by ear from there. The huge problem with auto-set is that it doesn't utilize the parametric capabilities of the software.

Marty
Thanks guys. I connect the dd15 with a set of seperate speaker cables from the amp.
I am not using the dd15 to crossover my main speakers. I run them full range. {Living Voice IBXR's}

I ran the auto setup and it has a "hilly" response curve.It does connect to a monitor.. I can take a pic of it tomorrow if it would help.So after you run the auto correct, is what is left considered flat response?

What would you calll "big dips or bumps"? I have read it is best not to boost base volumes, only cut them.