Jantzen Wax Coil or Mundorf M-Coil CFC

Hi Everyone,

Need to build a new crossover for my Tannoy Monitor Red. My first choice for inductor is Mundorf Copper Air , M-Coil CFC. But it don't have the value I need and so I have to ask Mundorf to custom made it for a price. Then I found the Jantzen Copper Wax Coil, which looks fancy and cheaper. However, Can't find any review online. 

I am wondering if anyone has experience with these coil and which is better? 

thanks
Vic
viclauyyc

Timely posts for me! I purchased both Jantzen Litz wire wax and Jantzen solid wire inductors some time ago as final mods for my Klipschorn crossovers. Can't recall exactly why I purchased both solid wire and litz wax wire, seems I remember something about litz being preferable to solid for tweeters, or maybe I have it backwards. Can anyone inform me as to preferences here?

I agree with @yuviarora —-crossover inductors make a massive difference in sound quality.  People like to swap caps but rarely do you hear comments about coil comparisons.  In my high efficiency speakers with 12db crossovers, I have tried quite a few coils and I ended up with different types for the woofer and midrange/tweeter.  On the woofer I prefer Solen 14g Perfect Lay air cores which have a warm, rich, dynamic sound.  On the midrange/tweeter I prefer JantZen 15g Air-Core (solid wire); in this spot the Solen Perfect-Lay sounds too soft.  I have also tried JantZen 14g C-Coil toroids which can sound pretty good on woofers but too edgy with mids and tweets.  JantZen iron core with discs are nice and cheap but too edgy and fuzzy.  I tried a number of foil inductors and didn’t like any of them.  Vintage iron coils are too edgy.

I haven’t tried the new JantZen wax coils.  From the description in this thread that’s now on my list of things to try.

By plastic, I mean the Polypropylene used to insulate the foil capacitors. 

Both the Mundorf and Jantzen wax are amazing inductors...but for me, that paper housing has a more vintage/analogue sound, and the background is jet black. 

You will not go wrong with either to be honest......Mundorf also makes a papper coil capacitor, that is encased in paper and a proprietary resin. 

On my next speaker project, I will be getting some Duelund inductors, and all Duelund foil capacitors to do my crossover. 

Post removed