Ethernet Clocking

i had previously reported that adding an Antelope 10m rubidium clock to the Etherregen results in major tightening of soundstage and location of individual instruments. To my great surprise adding filtering on the BNC 75 Ohms connection between clock and Etherregen results in substantial additional benefits. The filter used is a Mini-Circuits BLP-10.7-75+ DCto11MHZ model.

We are only beginning to understand how to maintain clean clocking on digital connections, it is of paramount importance to SQ.

antigrunge2

@lalitk,

you are right, however my system is somewhat idiosyncratic and the result of a continuous improvement process over many years.

It goes something like this:

Digital: Router on LPS->DXE Pro Ethernet filter->Ethernet Cat8->Uptone Etherregen driven by Antelope Audiophile 10m with Mini Circuits filter on Sommercable 75ohm BNC and ZeroZone 2020 LPS->Meicord Opal->Innuos Zenith Mk3 on Gingko Audio platform on Black Ravioli Pads on Nordost Brahma PC->custom 2-prong signal and 5v USB cable->Intona Isolator->Intona Reference USB->Antelope Zodiac Platinum on Black ravioli pads driven by Antelope Audiophile 10m clock on dual Sommercable 75 Ohm BNC (Platinum,5v USB and clock supplied by Sean Jacobs DC3/4 LPS on Nordost Valhalla

Analogue: Scheu Das Laufwerk2 Slate wall mounted with Dynavector DV507 Mk2 with Millenium Carbon Headshell and Cartridgeman Isolator and Teres Audio Verus Rim Drive on Nordost Brahma-> Zyx Universe Cu-Lo->Auditorium23 Phono->Bob’s Devices Altec Lansing TBB-663 SUT->Zyx Artisan Phono->Zodiac Platinum

Downstream: dual Auditorium23/ Sommercable Epilogue RCAs (Schroeder Method)-> Wavac EC300b (EAT300b, Svetlana Winged-C 6L6 GC, Mad Scientist, EAT and Duende Criatura Dampers) on Nordost Valhalla, Gingko Audio platform and Black Ravioli Big II footers->Auditorium23 speaker Cable->Bybee Golden Goddess Speaker Bullets->Stein Music Speaker Match->Audioprism Ground Control-> Duevel Bella Luna Speakers with Murata ES 103b on Symposium Svelte Shelf on Final Daruma MkII feet

Upstream: Separate spur with Akiko Gold Stick on Junction box->Russ Andrews fuseless socket->Isotek Vision GII->Acoustic Revive Reference II->2x Acoustic Revive RTP-4, WA QuantumTuning Chips on all power, USb and RCA connections.

Acoustic Revive Ethernet and USB filters, shorting plugs on all unused RCA and balanced connections,fuses by ACME, Furutech and Hifi Tuning

So, it’s all a bit complicated and often the devil is in the detail.

Hope this helps you understand my continued journey.

@sns,

cheap switches don’t have good clocks and I am afraid that’s what you heard. I am no friend of additional devices and connections unless it’s clear why they contribute

I’m new here. 40 years audiophile. 30 years designing software and hardware for switches, routers, high performance wifi access points.  
Open minded guy, I think.  I have iso pucks everywhere, nice cables, power regeneration and what have you…. Clearly not Amir’s best buddy.  I believe just about anything can affect sound.   
In the process of building networking gear that sold for billions of dollars (if you get out of the house, you have used gear I had something to do with, it’s a small world), I learned a thing or two.   And yet, I do not understand anything about audiophile Ethernet switches and cables.   The issue here is that I can always at least find some theories  on why this or why that can be possible.   I am completely empty handed, either reading the specs of those devices or putting to work my fertile imagination.  
Our community has been fed so much crap about the wonders of digital music since the first CD, some of those promises are just starting to come true.  We were blessed with SPDIF, USB, TOSLINK and other atrocities.  None of this stuff has a combination of CRC, forward error connection, retransmission or even any sort of link monitoring.   I shell out decent cash on all those connections cables  because the whole link layer protocol is just a sac of crap.   I guess even the high end audio industry is not found on fixing this, it is a product offerings bonanza.  
Now enters Ethernet and TCP/IP. Different ball game.  I would not blame anyone to be skeptic, see previous point.    There’s no point starting an enumeration here, point is that I can find a thousand reasons why there’s zero chances this networking stuff will change the sound. 
I’m going to go one notch farther.  I have a brillant idea for a product design that can take all the voodoo out of it.  It would be a pain to do this, but we could build a system that would compute the SHA-1 digest of all the bits fed to a DAC chip and report whether piece was authentic to the source file.   That would be a really fun project.    Or it could be done on SPDIF and USB too.   I would love to see this done.  That would not completely close debates, my bit is sweater than your bit would go on, but that would do it for me.  
In the mean time, I will continue to choose Ethernet cables based on color :-0.  Oh one last detail.  Last time I checked, 1000base T Ethernet does not have a clock.   So there is that, it’s a whole new world.  

To everyone except @lmcmalo, who seems to be only one of the rare ones who knows what he is talking about, do others really think a 1 or a 10 gigabit ethernet phy would work if it had faulty clocking to begin with ?