Sonus Faber surprise

After years with my current speakers (gallo nucleus reference 3) I decided to try something different. Didn't really have a chance to audition a bunch of speakers nor the budget to go crazy. I've always thought that Sonus Faber sounded like something I would like so I found an old but maybe never used pair of Concerto homes. They came with the proper stands for these speakers. So I get them all set up and was really surprised to find they are substantially brighter and more energetic than my old gallos. They make a surprising amount of bass for there size but mids and highs are much brighter than I was expecting. They are not irritating in any way but not what I was expecting.  I'm still working on placement but I'm not sure what to think. Does this sound familiar to you other SF users? Any suggestions on something I can try?

emiliop

On speaker break-in:

I didn’t think much of it as I’ve never really heard my new speakers change much at all. My Salk Songtowers sounded pretty much the same. I thought the sound may have changed (eased/opened up) but it did not really take up too much of my time thinking about it.

Recently, I bought Tannoy Turnberrys. I set them up but noticed I had not received the grills. Maybe there was 3rd box I didn’t receive? Anyway Upscale Audio offered to replace them. I listened to them and they sounded a little shouty but pretty damn good. Over the 50 hours, they seemed to sound more open and less congested. Maybe these speakers actually need break-in?

The old speakers were replaced and it turned out I had received an open box set as the new speakers came with grills and the accessories were in sealed plastic bags.

Well the new Tannoys sounded like crap. Really congested. Not even shouty. Just terrible. It was not anything subtle. 10 hours later, I got shoutiness too. Got that for another 15 hours. 30 hour mark and things started to sound exactly like the open box speakers. 12 more hours and things had smoothes out and bass was effortless.

Now I think speakers with butyl rubber surrounds will probably sound pretty close to the way they started but anything with hard surrounds or the double-rolled and doped cloth surrounds like these Tannoys will need some mechanical break-in.

I do believe people who need to ’measure’ everything in life before they believe anything should measure a hard surround speaker before they they seem so sure it is a myth.

My Sonus Farbers Lutios  where my first speakers that I spent over $1,300 to buy and they were used. Beautiful looking and sounding...I use them up in my balcony. 

The discovery of the gain/ feedback switch on the amp would peak my curiousity. I would be compelled to tried hooking the Gallo’s back up and playing with the gain switch… but that’s just me. If your so inclined please share.

congrats on you purchase

FWIW,

I found with Maggies that initially they were bright (they even come with resistors to damp the HF.  I did not like the effect of the resistors.  What I found was that I was hearing noise and distortion from AC, cables, and gear.  My Maggies are still very revealing but the Maggie glare is gone.  One easy trick is to remove all SMPS's from the AC line your gear is on and seperate the analog and digital lines; dedicated lines if possible.  It cost me less than $500 to add 3 dedicated lines from my panel.  A good power conditioner like the Denali or Nigara is also a good start.