Pass Labs XA25 without preamp (from a variable output source) vs INT25

Hi!

I just have a single source system (a DAC with a high quality variable output) so what would be the best aounding option? DAC direct to XA25 through the variable output or DAC with fixed output and an INT25?

Reading between lines it seems INT25 looses some transparency and gravitates to a warm sound compared to the very clean and transparent sound the XA25 provides. I love a transparent, rich and 3D sound but I don't want a lean sound. 

Anyone here uses the XA25 without preamp from a high quality variable output source?

Thanks!

joegt

joeyg- My speakers are Tannoy FSM (monitors) from the late 80's.

That is the million dollar question. When the new INT arrived it needed

200-300 hours of burn in time so at first it was worse. My audio mentor friend

loves it as do I so all I can say with any certainty is what I stated- no improvement.

The Preamp section is said by the Pass people to be "Minimally invasive".

True enough as it has no Pre-out, no sub out. One output & 3 inputs.

@avanti1960 I used extensively passive preamps in the past too (some Audio Synthesis units)  but that is a much more complicated way to achieve nice results than using just a source with high quality variable output into an amp.

With a passive preamp between source and amp you must take seriously some considerations like having a low source output impedance, a low cable capacitance and a high input impedance of the amp (and of course high output and an amp with hig sensitivity). It´s very easy to have a mismatch and get a poor sound with a system with a passive preamp. So unless everything is on set it´s better to avoid using passive preamps.

Getting nice results with a source driven directly an amp is way much easier so if you´ve got bad experiences with passive preamps in the past I strongly suggest to not extrapolate that experiences and  give the "source direct to amp" way a chance, may you´ll like the results.

I

I´d like to say that I´d love to hear that going direct to XA25 route brings spectacular results but I have my worries. A more transparent and pure sound? I´m sure. A "leaner" (cleaner) sound than with a preamp? Of course but as I´ve said I don´t want to get an overall lean sound so here my interest to hear from anyone that have tried both ways with this amp.

I did DAC With digital volume control direct to XA25 and enjoyed it a lot.  But adding a tube preamp did bring more lively and saturated tone and 3D space.