Finally Learned: Subs serve much larger role than adding more low bass

I sold my older powered sub a while back. reasons-

1. It did not integrate well.

2. I was pretty satisfied with my 2 speakers bass output.

3. Was big, heavy and ugly.

After traveling around the counrty and listening to home systems put together by people who know their way around the industry I realized they all have something I did not. A well integrated bass array.

So what does a bass array add to a 2.0 system?

This is where words fail but I will try:

-Increased Involvement in the listening experience

-More enjoayble sound stage

So if you are like I was, a sub denier, I suggest you try one small

sub, as I did, and see what you experience. My $500 REL T5x experience

did it for me. Now I will buy a second one.

chorus

I am thinking of getting the Audiokinesis Swarm.

But I can only place them behind my main speakers facing the back wall.

Maybe 2 is enough. I have a friend that does the Swarm with only 2.

I could do all 4 but they would have to be lined up behind the speakers.

Maybe 2 on each side.

Or it the Swarm only effective scattered around the room?

To my ears the most difficult aspect of bass reproduction is keeping up the same efficiency for the bass as for the midrange. When efficiency is kept high, then bass is effortless and flows with the rest of the music.

mglik, The key to getting the most from a DBA is to have the subs in different room locations. Four real close to the mains is effectively two locations. If you are stuck with something like that at least try and space them apart, like maybe two an inch or so from the wall, the other two half way between there and the mains. Also remember different locations applies vertically as well. You could get something like Tekton 4-10 and two of those with the woofers stacked the way they are is probably pretty close to 4 smaller subs spaced out better.

I run two SVS SB-2000 subs with my Cornwall III's. Got them dialed in pretty good. You can't even tell they're there if that makes sense.