Turntable and cartridge setup known for a marvelous bottom end.

I could use some advice. I am thinking on upgrading my Pro-Ject Classic turntable and Hana SH cartridge. My speakers are Monitor Audio Gold 300's. They go down to 30 which isn't quite a subwoofer spec, but because they are so darn close, I really don't want to complement them with one.

What I am thinking is rather that getting a sub, with your help I would upgrade my turntable setup with a turntable and cartridge that has been proven to have a wonderful bottom end.

So far my only guides have been the end of year rating in the audiophile magazines. For the most part these guides are over the place.

The only turntable that shows up in all the audiophile magazines is the very affordable Rega P-10. They all report that it is a splendid turntable, but not once have I heard of anyone marveling over its bottom end. I'd like to keep the $$$ down to around 10 grand. Thanks for your help.

The phono stage is Parasound JC3+ going to a Benchmark LA 4 pre-amp to a Benchmark AHB2 power amp.

Thanks

marshinski15

What interests me most is that we most of us think our systems sound great, and yet our systems are so different from one another and were assembled based sometimes on very different, even conflicting beliefs. And yet each of us who feels that he is at the end of a pathway or very near it, is a happy camper.

By the way, when a commercial speaker maker tells you his product "goes down to 30" or especially if it "goes down to 20", you ought to take that with more than a grain of salt. The statement is meaningless unless the reference frequency is given along with the db difference between the reference frequency (typically 1kHz) and the low bass limit.   So, a guy could say his speakers "go down to 30", and at 30Hz they might be 10db down from the response at 1kHz.  But because he didn't give the details, he also didn't confabulate (nice word for "lie").

My experience is that heavy turntables without a suspension offer really solid bass... Think of one of the VPI unsprung turntables for cost effective solution (there are many other companies making good unsprung tts. If it isn't in the source... then it's hard to add latter. Sprung tables have a liveliness for which they are priced, but the massive unsprung ones have more solid bass. 

@ghdprentice , I hate to elbow you but I think that is lay instinct. I'm sure there are a bunch of mass loaded turntables that have great bass but any VPI turntable that comes with a unipivot arm is less likely to have great bass. It is the one place that in general unipivot arms fail the most. Theoretically, a properly suspended turntable should have clearer bass (more detail) because much less low frequency noise is transferred to them mechanically. Suspended tables do tend to be more expensive.. I would much prefer a Kuzma turntable over a VPI. The M is a really nice piece except for the price. The Ref 2 is also a beautiful table but the M comes with a dust cover!