Replacement for current speakers suggestions

Greetings! I am 64 years old and started the hi fi journey at 19. I am thinking of replacing my current speakers. I have a pair of Von Shweikert VR 2's driven by a Mcintosh MA 250. Analogue sources are a Clearaudio Emotion Red with a Hana EH cartridge, the second deck is a Technics SL-1200 GR with a Clearaudio Maestro Cartridge. My VR 2's sound outstanding with the Mac however, they are sounding clinical these days. I realise that at 64 with all my health issues hearing changes for the worse. Diabetic for 39 years, Cardiac issues, (massive MI in 95, double bypass in 05) and the latest is stage 4 cancer, no remission possible! I like a warm sound that recreates music in great detail without sounding clinical, not sure if that makes sense! Disability does not pay all that well! The days of affording 3k to 5k are done! Looking at some Wharfdale towers, Maggies and possily Monitor Audio. I want to stay abour or below 2k.I will appreciate your opinions!

Thanks, Bogiedr

bogiedr1

I also own the original KEF LS 50s. I have heard the Metas as well and believe that they are slightly more resolving and dynamic. I love my pair, but if you have the room the Wharfedales are certainly more of a full range speaker.

Magnepan .7s. One of the most musical and non-fatiguing speakers on the planet. 

@bogiedr1 ... sorry you face such serious health concerns.

From your descriptions, our sonic preferences are quite close. If it were me, I’d go out and find a gently used pair of Vandersteen 3A. All the Vandy models are musical to a fault, in my experience.

Here’s a listing of some used ones:

I’ve always loved the Monitor Audio sound, a very musical speaker. From first hearing Silvers and Golds back in 01, even the low budget Bronze series. I finally pulled the trigger on a pr of Monitor Audio Platinum PL300II over a year ago and couldn’t be happier. I was fortunate to get mine in Santos rosewood, and love the true beauty and build of these speakers. The sound quality speaks for itself with either tubes or ss.