Mojo Audio Mystique EVO

Mojo Audio updated their website yesterday with details on the next generation of the Mojo Mystique DAC, the Mystique EVO.

Unlike the V3, the EVO has upgrade options for component, isolation and shielding upgrades - at purchase or to be upgraded later.   The website states there are plans to release new boards for ethernet/roon, and other dac chips like the PCM63.

I pre-ordered an EVO in late February with a few upgrades.  I'm expected to receive it in 1-2 weeks, and I'll post my impressions after some time with it.  I currently have the Mystique V3 and I find it fantastic.  Really looking forward to hearing Ben's next iteration.

veroguy

Hi All,

Bear with me, I will get to the point😊!

I have thoroughly enjoyed my used Theta DS ProBasic III DAC that was probably  $2,500 when new. It is teamed with a PWT. This was after a succession of delta sigma DACS that always left me gritting my teeth as they all sounded too edgy in the treble.

The upgrade bug bit. As a first step, I purchased a Soekris 1421 in order to understand what a positively rated "less than $1000" DAC could sound like.To my ear, the Soekris had more detail but was also more sterile compared to to the Theta.

Based on what I read on this thread, amoung others, I purchased a used Mystique V3 about a year ago. I really enjoyed the V3 and felt I had made a great decision.It sounded similar to the Theta but with more detail. It gave me a relaxed and organic sound in my system.

Of course, I could not leave well enough alone.

FINALLY here is the point. Again, this thread was persuasive and my new EVO B4B was delivered yesterday. After only one day I am impressed. The B4B provides more detail, which seems to be translating into a deeper and wider soundstage, more ambience, and better separation between voices and instruments.

And it is not even broken in yet!

I am probably speaking to the choir here so thanks for listening!

Dsper

@dsper Thanks for sharing your experience with the various DACs! I too received my EVO B4B couple of weeks back. One suggestion for you: go listen to the music/albums that you never quite enjoyed or never quite "groked with" even though they were known to be well recorded. You might be pleasantly surprised. My aperture of the usual albums that I listen to have expanded since the EVO B4B arrived because I am re-discovering and finally enjoying neglected albums. I don't have the audiophile terms to describe what I am hearing, but the music just sounds so right and pleasing to the ear. Perhaps it's the rightness of tone and the spades full of PRAT. Or as @fuzzbutt17 describes it "the right timing, tune and coherence".

Enjoy your new DAC!

@longinc 

Good idea!

I have a handful of favorites that I know very well. After listening a bit closer, the improvement in decay is exceptional to me.

Seems to be part of the better separation between different voices and instruments.

Should be a fun Friday afternoon after completing the To Do list this morning!

Dsper

Have had basically 3 (you may say 4 DACs) over the last year.

Ayre QB-9 DSD..

When I sent it in to Ayre for the “twenty upgrade “ I bought a Benchmark DAC-3.

Really different…super clear and concise…better base articulation..blah blah..

but aggressive sounding to me.  Using a different USB cable helped immensely 

(not doing cable discussions, just what I hear)…

Eventually got the upgraded Ayre back..

Took forever to open up. Sounded like mud for ages.  Almost gave up…but it’s 

An incredibly  enjoyable and engaging sound…sold the Benchmark..

(2 versions of an Ayre DAC, a Benchmark DAC and …)

I then bought an Evo B4B.. ( big birthday, you only live once).

45 day return policy…why not!

It’s not getting returned!  It has all of the character and articulation of the Benchmark…resolution, better bass, more air..but it’s all organic and involving not aggressive or digital.  Just more fun..

FWIW based on Benjamins advice..I bit the bullet and bought a Jays CDT…Jay says 400 hours to burn in..

I’m maybe 100 hours in…the gap is getting bigger, CDT versus computer audio..

the transport..more coherent, more air, better decay (more hang time so to speak) on and on…

Great DAC..I’ll  be curious about the future upgrades regarding the on/switch for the USB input..

The first review was just posted for the new Mystique X SE DAC in Audiophilia.

The reviewer used to own a Mystique EVO Pro as his reference DAC but he was to taken by the new Mystique X SE he sold his EVO Pro and bought the demo unit.

Needless to say he awarded the X SE Star Component..

More reviews and awards should be posting over the next few months :^)