Suggestions for high efficiency speakers?

I attended the Capital Audiofest and thought the Audio Note room had the best sound to my ears. Another attendee from Florida had a copy of "A Night in Tunisia" and it sounded like you were sitting in Art Blakey's chair with his drums right there in front of you. I want that palpability, that "you are there" sound I think low watt amps and high efficiency speakers deliver better than any other combination.

A couple years ago I heard the DeVore 96s at the same show and loved their sound, anyone know of other speakers that give the same sensations?

My system is a SOTA Sapphire w Sumiko MMT and Zu-modified Denon 103 into an Art Audio Vinyl One phono pre into a Lamm LL2 Deluxe pre into an Art Audio Jota SET power amp and into Joseph RM25 sigs.

128x128fosolitude

Let's try this again.

My suggestion is to listen to a pair of Klipsch Forte IVs. They work well in small rooms and even better in medium rooms. Bonus points if your room is big enough for a Cornwall IV. Even more goodness.....

Oz

"I want that palpability, that "you are there" sound I think low watt amps and high efficiency speakers deliver better than any other combination."

I will concede that there are numerous ways to construct a very good sounding audio system. For my taste and ambitions the low watt (Especially tube) amplifier matched with easy to drive efficient speakers has been the most gratifying solution for me. Tactile presence, dynamics, fluidity, pace, rhythm and tonality.

@fosolitude I believe that you are on the right track. 😊 Have you established a price range? 

Charles

you didn't give a buget, but based on your kit, seems like ~$3000 is doable. There's a pair of Eerald Physics 2.8s (open baffle) on another used gear site that should make you very happy. I currently have 3.4s + dual powered subs, though I am confident the 2.8s built in dual 15" carbon fiber woofers would be a big improvement here

hth