Magico A5 or Sonus faber SERAFINO TRADITION or Harbeth 40.3 XD

Looking at upgrading my speakers and I have no in home demo options.

I am looking at spending up to 25K.

Magico, Sonus faber, Harbeth are in the running.

I listen to  beatles, Dead, CSNY, Eagles.

I have a Mcintosh MC462, MC22 and a just ordered Berkeley Alpha Dac 3.  

I was leaning toward the Harbeth or SF but just read a great review on the MAgico A5.

Still working on buying a streamer to feed the system.

Looking for some thoughts.

Thanks

Ag insider logo xs@2xefoo

The Magico A5 speakers weigh 180 lbs each. That was a consideration for my application, it may or may not be for your’s.

I’ve never listened to Magico’s but I’ve owned three different pairs of Sonus Faber speakers and currently settled on the Serafino’s. I f&ckkng love them. Absolutely beautiful detail and soundstage and gorgeous deep and tight bass - a real 30hz bass with room to spare... Mids and highs are beautiful and open. I also listen to the music you listen to. I hear amazing things about the magico’s and also I love the sound of Wilson speakers but could never stomach the way they looked.

I started off with a McIntosh amp but found the sound a little too syrupy and boomy. ThenI got a Gryphon Diablo 300 and my ears loved that for a while but some fatigue settled in. A little harsh and clinical. My source is a DCS Bartok, BTW. Then I shlepped my Gryphon amp to my dealer as I was going to buy a pair of Amatis. We switched out the gryphon for an ARC 160s and the magic really happened. I wrote a check on the spot for that amp and was lucky to get a good deal on a used REF 6SE... It’s all settling in nicely now and I couldn’t be happier.

A post shared by Joseph Montezinos (@joe_hifi)

I love my McIntosh and Sonus Faber combination. You will too.  Magico speakers sound a bit hollow with McIntosh based on my demos. 

I have the SF Serafino and have been very happy with them. I actually auditioned them and the A5 at my dealer with both matched to a Macintosh amp. I went with the SF because I thought they had a more natural sound and we're not as finicky regarding placement. They are also beautiful speakers but that would not have influenced my selection if I didn't like the sound better. I also listened to the top of the line paradigms and Bowers and Wilkins and chose the SF. The sound is very musical, never fatiguing and is particularly good with female vocals.  All of this is completely subjective, of course, and I thought the A5s were excellent as well and I'm sure I would've been happy with them. Just like the SF a little better.  
good luck in your search