Is it Possible??

Is it possible for speakers to sound better when you hear them while sitting in a different room that the speakers are in or when you stand behind them?  If so why does this occur and what can I do to improve my listening experience while sitting in the same room as the audio gear. 
Ag insider logo xs@2xjili12
The higher you go in frequency the more it radiates out towards the front in the direction the speakers are pointed. Standing behind the speakers you are getting almost none of the highest frequency treble. 

Higher frequencies are also very easily absorbed but all kinds of things like carpet, furniture, people, etc. The lower you go in frequency the less of an effect these things have. 

So what we have here is a situation where standing behind the speakers the top end is rolled way off, and outside the room the top end is rolled way off. You like this better. Therefore you like rolled off. 

There are all kinds of things you can do, starting with the obvious, point the speakers away. Turn the tweeters down if they have trim pots for this. Add a resistor if they don't. You can also try going to warmer components but if you really do like it better from behind than in front (and we are still talking speakers mind you) that is pretty drastic and unlikely to be fixed with components. 

Not saying I would do any of these but it is your system not mine. If this is what you like this is how to get it: drape a blanket over em.
Is it possible for speakers to sound better when you hear them while sitting in a different room that the speakers are in ...
Seems you need to shop for new speakers!
To complete what millercarbon just said about too much higher frequencies coming from speaker...

I will say that no speaker sound the same in different room and they all sound different if we change the acoustic treatment and active acoustic controls in a room...

Read about acoustic treatment and control...

If your speaker sound better from another room or behind them you have a room problem or a gear problem or the two...

The good news is you could suppress the problem completely if it is the room or help it greatly  with acoustic treatment if some piece of gear is not so bad or not well match...