The Most Cost Effective Tweak

What is the most cost effective upgrade or tweak? What yields the largest return on investment (ROI)? What if you could spend no money and no time and yield significant performance increases? Theoretically, that would result in an infinite ROI!

So how do you make that happen? Stop tweaking. What happens when you stop tweaking and messing with your audio system constantly is that you let everything burn in and settle down. Go read one of the many threads on this website that talks about how long it takes for components and cables to break in. The answers range from a few hours to several days. If you are suffering from constant upgrade-itis, you never let your audio system fully burn in. You’re robbing yourself of free, infinite ROI. And you never truly hear what your system is capable of. I’m not saying don’t upgrade your system. That’s a lot of the fun. Just give it some time and let your system burn in and open up. Reassess where you are at and where you want to go next.

Due to reasons I won’t go into depth on right now (mainly power issues), I am temporarily using a relatively cheap, high power, class D amp. I wasn’t thrilled with this setup and wasn’t sure if I could even call it’s sound signature high end. Due to a busy schedule, I have not had time to upgrade anything or even pursue simple tweaks. As a result of that, I have witnessed how the amp and my system have burned-in/settled down - whatever you want to call it. The sound was initially on the thin side and had harsh treble. Now the soundstage has become huge and the sound has become very smooth - smoother than I thought class D was capable of - especially from a class D amp that isn’t really something to write home about.

My point is that I realized significant performance increases by doing literally nothing. And now that I am hearing what I believe is the true sound of my system, my next tweak or upgrade will be more effective because I can clearly recognize where the weaknesses are at instead of making judgements while things are still burning in, which is often the case with upgrade-itis.
128x128mkgus
2 tweeks and both virtually free! 1-unplug and replug a few times all your power cords,interconnects, and tubes(if you have tube gear), no contact cleaners,enhancers ,etc needed. 2-(and this does cost some $) buy a gallon of distilled  water and a package of sponges at your local grocery store-don't need an audiophile version. pour some water in a bowl,dip the sponge in the water, wringe  out the sponge till it is just damp and wipe down everything in your system- all cables(spk,int,ac) ,electronics, turntable,speakers cabinets- but not drivers! may need to remoisten sponge if you have a lot or gear.
Post removed 
RudyB: Could be fun to have a "Frequency Response" thread where everyone (who’s brave enough :) posts their measurement results.

I agree on the fun aspect. W/out specific guidelines* to generate and capture the FR curve(s), attempts at comparing “apples to _______ may prove impossible. *constraints and restraints for equipment and methods, & either a room description and/or drawing plus, if relevant, the “SAF factor/ratio” of compromises. 

I’ve used phone apps connected by Bluetooth to generate white noise, Pink noise, or a single frequency. I’ve used Behringer’s DEQ2496 built in RTA w/ it’s calibrated mic at the listening position to (tweak/tune/EQ and) capture the FR. Finally a phone photo app to post the RTA display. 

Tony
In my experience as many others shared moving speakers around can be huge.

Duplex outlets from Oyaide or better yet Synergistic Research.
Synergistic Research fuses.