Ethernet Cables

Hello All,
Hope everyone is safe,healthy & employed

Regarding Ethernet cables-does a "HI End" cable like Audioquest,Nordost etc and the like..do these
make a significant difference regarding a regular type brand--cat 6--needed for Streaming
I do need a long run ie 20-25 feet. AM i ok using a standard brand from a computer store or are these
expensive hi end brands better to stream?
Many Thanks
shellyboy1
I got an AmazonBasics Cat 6 Ethernet cable and a Supra Cat 8 cable to be able to listen to both. My plan was to sell the Supra Cat 8 cable if I didn't hear any clear improvement from the AmazonBasics cable. FWIW, I'm using the Supra Cat 8 cable now. Benefits that I heard from using the Supra cable were:

- More presence to voices and instruments which sound more forward and distinct in presentation
- Richer tonality
- Less grain to the sound
- Better resolution due to a lower noise floor (This is audible when comparing a cleaner signal to one that is less clean)
- Easier to follow bass lines
- Pace seems faster due to more clarity and better definition to the leading edge of notes.

The degree of improvement was pretty significant. For digital sound quality, the biggest improvement I've heard was turning off the WiFi on my streamer and using the AmazonBasics Cat 6 Ethernet cable via an Ethernet access point created via a WiFi extender. Switching from the AmazonBasics cable to the Supra cable resulted in improved sound quality on order of about 75% of the benefit that from going to an Ethernet cable from WiFi.
Based on my experience as a networks engineer, I have to say that DbillionDa’s Cat 8 cable is a premier cord that can effectively get the job done. I tested the overall speed capacity of DbillionDa cat 8 cable. I found that this Cat 8 cord can support data transmission speeds of up to 40 Gbps, with an outstanding frequency bandwidth of up to 2 GHz.
REVIEW:What causes audible differences in network cables

https://alpha-audio.net/review/wat-zorg ... erkkabels/

Intro

We round off our little investigation into network cables with a listening test and a clear conclusion. As promised we subjected the network plugs to a listening test and listened to three different configurations: shielding fixed on one side, shielding fixed on two sides and double shielded (and both sides connected). Do we hear differences? Well…. yes…!

Let’s clear up one myth: there is NO audible difference in network plugs. There is a difference in build quality, price and ease of installation. In short: it does make sense to invest in a good plug.

But let’s continue with the sound reproduction: as you know, we have installed everything from standard plugs to expensive Telegärtners. We tried all cables on the same switch (with an IFI power supply) and listened to the same system:
We did not notice any difference between the connectors. Sometimes we thought we heard something (think of a louder or sharper S-sound), but when we went back to the other connector, there was no difference. It is sometimes very complex to listen to this properly and to judge it honestly. But after hours of switching back and forth, we dare say that there is no difference in reproduction. In any case, we do not dare to take a bet in a blind test…
But where we do hear immediate differences – and continue to hear differences even when going back and forth – is the method of shielding.

We made three cables for this purpose: one cable with DeLock plugs and shielding fixed at one end. One cable with Delock plugs with the shielding fixed at both ends and finally the double shielded version with the nice sleeve. Also with the shielding on both sides (and Delock plugs).

What we observe almost immediately is that the version with the shielding fixed on both sides focuses better. The version with shielding on one side seems to play a bit larger, but that is not true: the effects in the song Perfect Life by Steven wilson are placed at the same spot in the room, but are more tightly framed with the cable where the shielding is fixed on both sides.

With voices, the same is true: it’s tighter in focus and also more stable between the speakers (if we move our heads back and forth, the voice stays in place better very odd).

Going to the double shielding we make another step. Again a bit more tightly focused, again a bit better framed. And with that a bit more calmness in the reproduction allowing details to surface a bit easier.

ClearlyFor us it is clear where the differences come from: shielding, shielding, shielding.

And that is quite logical if you consider that a network cable is included in a digital chain. A chain that relies on clean energy to keep everything clocked tight. A chain that works with noise-levels of -140dB. A chain where small deviations are immediately audible in staging, focus and smoothness.

This also explains why fiber networks work so well as a first upgrade: you immediately shut out a lot of misery by creating a barrier through which electrical energy cannot pass. And thus no electrical noise (common mode in particular).

To conclude…

Can you hear differences between network cables? Yes… definitely. Our samples have shown that. And about the real cables you can buy at the store… pay particular attention to what the manufacturer has done in terms of shielding. We would still leave the unshielded versions. Especially after this experience. But anyway: try it yourself at home!

For what it’s worth: once you have a half-decent cat8 cable, using EMO and DXE ISO-Plus filters has a substantially larger impact on SQ than better cables.
DbillionDa cat 8 is a flat out fast ,reliable consistent top speeds cable that sounds phenomenal.