HiFi vs MidFi

I’m a relative noob to the audiophile scene, having just invested in an integrated amp and upscale (for me) speakers.  From time to time, I hear the term “MidFi” for some components.  Is there an objective or just largely accepted definition for this term?  I’d be curious to hear feedback on what constitutes HiFi vs. MidFi across various components.  
128x128bigtex22
No I said, emphatically
I hate paper/carbon in MIDWOOFERs, 
= upper bass.low midrange. 
The 1929 Colotura has paper, but it is only performing midrange.
As for its  upper bass resonances I have no idea. 
Point is
wayyy back in 1929 we had superior midrange/vocals.
Life like vocals/mids.
Measurments only tell half the story
Audiophiles can't read graphs and such. The only thig they are interested in is how it sounds.
My WBers have zero distortion = zero fatigue.
This is a  measurable fact.

Midwoofers and tweeters are both flawed 
1 in the upper range, the other in the lower range.
The 2 can not meet with a  seamless  STRESS FREE   2khz-3khz  bands.
This 1khz band is like  THE most critical bandwidth.

This is a  evident experienced fact.
If you and others wish to argue and deny, feel free. 
Carlson's Lab, Youtube. 
Everyone knows Carlson
Even IF  he canceled my belief the widwoofer/tweeter thing  has issues trying to  voice the seamless critical 1800hz-3khz with only a  modicum degree  of success, It would not matter.
I know what I hear.
I ain't trying to push snakeoil here.
Now I know why Troels always cringes  when discussing the fq joint of the midwoofer and tweeter.
This is the  major flaw of a  midwoofer/midtweeter.
WBers suffer no handicaps in this area.
This is the  strong point. Cohesive, seamless liebear wide band voicing.
There are no speakers like WBers. 
Not horns, Not stats/panels, 
Nada.
WBers stand alone.
These musical wonders don't need an  apologist. 
They sing for themselves  no defense necessary.

Audiophiles can’t read graphs and such.
Speak for yourself. I would bet that most can. You can continue to flail away in the dark. You had Bache, who has a lot of experience with designing speakers that utilize wide band drivers. He knows what he is doing and you don’t. Yet you continuously dismiss him out of hand. Only a fool would do that.

The 1929 Colotura has paper, but it is only performing midrange.
I am now convinced that you can’t hear. It produces as much bass as your wideband. That is not saying much, but it would produce more if mounted in a properly implemented cabinet. It is definitely producing bass and that makes it a midwoofer. And it is made of paper. That video is almost as poorly done as one of yours. Again, if tone changes that much when just slightly off axis, it is a no-go.....not good unless you want to sit with your head in a vice. It then might graduate to not much more than ok.

My WBers have zero distortion = zero fatigue.
Based on your videos, this is nowhere close to true. To quote you, "I know what I hear." And it is not good.

These musical wonders don’t need an apologist.
They sing for themselves no defense necessary.
Then why are you continuously defending and apologizing for them?

Then why are you continuously defending and apologizing for them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let me get back to the OP's Q.
which is
Do speakers bring down a  perfectly high fidelity amplification /source, down to **midfi*??
THe answer is yes. Wilson, Sonus Faber's, Zu's, Tektons  are only offering more bass/highs  Which is  not hifi
Our music is in the total midrange.
Here in this super critical range is where a high fidelity speakers is distinguished from  a  mid-fidlity,, Mhich term is moot, There exists only high fidelity, 
If a speaker is not high fidelity, then it is not mid fidelity.
The davidLouis yellow cone 6 is ok, but it is not high fidelity. Is it mid? Who cares,
I am only interested in high. Mid does not interest me. 
For me, all tweeters are high fidelity
But only down to 3khz. below that is all mid fidelity, Tweeters are flawed below 3k hz.
same with Magnesium cone midwoofers, Great speakers below 1800hz.
Above that they sound distorted = mid fi = garbage.
This is the entire synopsis of my arguments for WBers.
That this super duper critcal 2khz -3khz will be voiced HIGH fidelity via a high end WBer.
\
xover type speakers are falwed in this  tiny in size(1khz), but HUGE in music band width.

If you want to deny this age old problem with xover speakers,, you really need to visit Troel Gravesen's web page. 
He oft mentuiions these issues, which i never quite understood til the other day.
WBers stand alone from every other speaker design.
WBers are Kings.

Look I am aware my comments will rock the audiophile world.
The issues with xovers/midwoofers is longggg overdue for exposure and yet with understanding.
The only way to high fidelity is via knowledge. Denials will only  lead to regrets.
Miles Davis cd will make any speaker seem to be high fidelity, Which is only a deception. Once we play complex swaing jazz, classical orchestra the glaring defects will be clearly heard  all due to the failure in voicing correctly this super critcal 1800hz-3200hz band width.
Ck out a  classical instrument band width chart.
This 1800hz-3200hz is like 70% of the musical imagery.
Vocals as well.
This band width has to be voiced super strong with power and authority.
This is exactly the band width where WBers excell and shine.
Basically a WBer is a  midrange driver with emblishments on bass and highs.
Thats all it is. 
Midrange speaker.
These speakers absoluetly require a  midwoofer and tweeter.
A single  wide band is going to only voice the midrange with high fidelity.
If you need bass as we all demand then add any woofer of your choice provided it voices as neutral as the bass of the WBer.
Again tweeters area  Must. 
Add in any tweeter as all tweeters have no breakup /distortion above 3khz.
Run it down to 5k hz is my recommendation. 
 8uf cap will take it down to 5khz.
I recommend Mundorf EVO Silvergold or if you have the cash SESGO. There is a  sonic nuance with the SESGO, But again those lil guys are like $250 EACH!!!!.
On midwoofers Supreme Silver Oil 10uf will take midwoofer up to say 1600hz/1800hz.
Now your WBer system has been taken to near TRUE bonifide FULL range, down to 40hz and up to the stars on the tweeter. 
If yopu want sub 40 hz, get any sub woofer ((YUCKKKYY) I HATE sub woofers.
A stand alone WBer is mid-fidelity. 
Just as a  xover type speaker is mid-fidelity w/o adding in a  high end WBer.
Both need each other. But the true Tenor/Sopranos on stage are the WBers, xover types only play a  supporting casting roles.
Note the word *Supporting** = necessary but not front and center importance.
These findings support Bache Audio's spaeker systems. Although Bache prefers super tweeters, Which I don't.
Risk of bringing in sibilance.