I'm a Dummy, Tell Me About Turntable Mats

Turntable mats seem to be an inexpensive way to improve a component, but the thing that gives me pause is that as I understand it, you put them on with adhesive. Is there a possibility that a turntable would be damaged by a turntable mat?

If it's relevant at all, the turntable I'm thinking of using a mat on is a Sota Comet III bought used.
heretobuy
I've tried a few different mats and combinations of same. I found that a deerskin mat, was the only one to sound better than no mat on my acrylic platter with screw on clamp. And it sounds better 'suede side up'.
I knew there would eventually be the usual opinions here. I have one. 96.73% of the time they change the sound but don't improve it. I always wondered if HW was having a little fun at the expense of the rubes when he added a piece of very thin brown parchment paper as a platter mat with his decks. Platter mats, periphery rings and center weights all change the sound. Mats the most, periphery rings the least, center clamps/weights in the middle. Once your ears and brain become accustomed to the change they don't add anything to ultimate enjoyment. This is not what most vinyl enthusiasts want to believe, so they won't. 
The biggest benefit of platter mats is to enable those with VTA/SRA problems-those that can't go low enough-to achieve proper VTA/SRA. I think Herbie's caught onto this. 
OP i would ask Donna at SOTA if you have the latest mat on your TT. i find the new mat they provide w Sapphire to be excellent w Reflex clamp.