I'm a Dummy, Tell Me About Turntable Mats

Turntable mats seem to be an inexpensive way to improve a component, but the thing that gives me pause is that as I understand it, you put them on with adhesive. Is there a possibility that a turntable would be damaged by a turntable mat?

If it's relevant at all, the turntable I'm thinking of using a mat on is a Sota Comet III bought used.
heretobuy
Can I just say that even such illustrious decks as the Air Force One have platter mat options… like cartridges they can be a matter of taste. I am personally trying to get a modern equivalent of the oil filled Sony mat OL 2K for my TTS 8000. I know of many that swear by the copper Micro Seiki - Artisan Fidelity will charge you $995 for a new pure copper equivalent..
Then there’s the Resomat, which suspends the LP in air above a solid surface, supported only on the tips of rubbery points that are fastened to the mat surface. The result is pretty much the exact opposite of the philosophy of absorbing resonant energy from the LP. The LP is left to deal with the resonant energy on its own. Many users swear by that.
I’d avoid record mats that can deposit debris like felt. Earlier I tried researching record mats and for me the results weren't clear cut for my turntable.

However, I’m going to purchase the Stein Music Pi Signature Record Mat which received TAS 2021 Golden Ear Award by TAS Executive Editor Jonathan Valin whom I well respect. He reviews the top (expensive) gear and has an Uber audio system.
...continuing
Online research many mats seemed to change the sound not necessarily for the better.  But the Stein Music mat seems to advance sonics in many areas without any tradeoffs or colorations:

TAS 2021 Golden Ear Award by TAS Executive Editor Jonathan Valin
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/steinmusic-pi-carbon-signature-record-mat
@atmasphere, all that is very true. However, it the record is not firmly coupled to the mat it does not make much difference. The weight of the record is not enough aside from the fact that few records are perfectly flat.

I just ran a little experiment for fun. The stylus noise is easily twice as loud with the vacuum defeated as against the vacuum on! It is just barely audible with the vacuum on and my ear right next to the record. This is with a record of standard thickness.

The stylus noise test not only picks up noise generated by a vibrating record but also from a vibrating tonearm.