If your down on your system…

If your down on your system, ask yourself, are you listening for the sound or for the music.  If the answer is for the sound, then try to do a mind bend, and forget the sound for a moment.  Take a deep breath and try to get into the music you’ve selected. After all, you’ve hopefully selected it for the music itself and not just for the sound.  That’s where the payoff is.
 I know this sounds simplistic and has been mentioned a lot in this forum, but it’s
a technique that works for me.

128x128rvpiano
I remember when my rig wasn't playing nice. I was always listening for what wasn't there and it was fatiguing. I eventually got it right and it's been a joy ever since. Every record sounds wonderful. As it's in the basement, I'm down with my system. 
There is something about the human condition that makes us get bored as time transpires. Before my injury that left me a quadriplegic I  used to mountain bike. That’s what actually made me a quadriplegic was a freak accident with a tree. But anyways, before the accident my entire life was mountain bikes which was the perfect hobby because you’re always breaking stuff or replacing stuff because of the dirt and riding habits like jumping off big rocks etc.

Generally with audio , things don’t wear out very fast Or ever. As time passes by you get used to the sound then the boredom sets in. I don’t know that there’s any way to solve it, maybe you  accidentally spill some coffee in your preamp? That sounds like a very interesting topic to use for a question on the forum, “ how many ways can you accidentally destroy a piece of audio equipment“ …ha!
When judging my system do I use Mgf.list price ... or what I paid for it...lol