Absorb or Diffuse Behind Listening Position?

Hey All. Starting to finally treat my listening room. My listening position is up against the rear wall (head probably being spaced about 12" from the wall when sitting down). I’m putting 2’x4’x2" absorbing panels behind the speakers, but what should I choose for behind the listening position? Diffusion or absorption?

There are al lot of windows in the room, with horizontal louvered shades which act as pretty decent diffusion; and a big built-in bookshelf on one side wall also helping with diffusion. On either side of the wall behind the listening position are a pair of glass French doors, untreated at this point, and the room sounds a lot better when they are left open to the big room on the other side of the wall. I haven’t tackled the ceiling yet either. Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsumadoggie
Post removed 
As others have said, binary amplitude diffusion on the back wall would be a good solution for you. From reading about them, it's less important how far away from them you are, as compared with say quadratic diffusion. And you do get a nice balance of both absorption and diffusion with than technology.

I have a little more space, and I'm personally looking at building some folded well (FWD) diffusers, they fold the wells that are longer at 90deg behind shorter wells. In conjunction with this I want to try the fractal diffuser well plates.
It uses a scaled down diffuser as the face of the bottom or back of the wells, simply put, if you DIY your quadratic diffusers, cut scaled down diffusers as the end of the well.
At less than 4" they won't protrude much into the room, and will cover a broad range of higher frequency diffusion as well.

Please keep us posted, it's good to share these experiences, as room treatment isn't highly prolific as far as threads go on the Gon.
Please keep us posted, it's good to share these experiences, as room treatment isn't highly prolific as far as threads go on the Gon.
I concur....
As others have said, binary amplitude diffusion on the back wall would be a good solution for you. From reading about them, it's less important how far away from them you are, as compared with say quadratic diffusion. And you do get a nice balance of both absorption and diffusion with than technology.
+1 to that, based not only on ideas, but also my experience using BAD on the back wall when sitting close. Neither absorption nor many kinds of diffusion will sound right, but BAD will generally do a fine job, even when the listener is close.