Best Desktop Speakers under $500

Will be used mostly for listening to music/podcasts while I work. I will not be getting a sub right now since I'm in an apartment so that is something to keep in mind.

I enjoy nice aesthetics so if they look nice or come in a color other than black, that is a plus for me.

manishkob
Find a used pair of Adam A5. Active. Ribbon tweeters. Better than all of the others I have had (lots of computer speakers, home audio monitors {Polk, Dynaudio, ...}, Monsoon planars, Audioengine, Swan M200 various versions). Each of the above did good things.

The Adam A5's do a lot of good things. The bass is very good and the ribbon tweeters are oh so good in a nearfield desktop system.  They can also play loud enough to fill a small room if you are not at your desk. 

Use an external DAC if this is a computer based system
OP, I assume you mean powered speakers but please clarify if that assumption is incorrect.
I would say the SVS Prime Wireless, Vanatoo Transparent One Encore, Edifier S2000MkIII, Kanto YU6, and Audioengine A5+ (Plus) are the better choices at that price point.
  1. Edifier G2000 Stereo Speakers.
  2. Logitech Z207 Bluetooth Computer Speakers.
  3. Cyber Acoustic Portable USB Laptop Speaker.
  4. Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia PC Speakers.
  5. Cyber Acoustics CA-3810 Computer Speakers with Subwoofer.
  6. HP Gaming Speakers X100