Reel to reel , is it real the hype!

I am thinking of venturing into the realm of reel to reel.
I have access to purchase an otari mtr10, with enhanced 1/2 “ head block, refurbished and recapped for 9k.
my system is in brief is ayre kxr and mxr twenties playing through magico M3 with Jl audio Gotham subs. Front end digital is souped up wolf streamer pure digital capable of playing 512 and 1024 dsd files , t+a sd 3100hv dac( capable of playing 1024 dsd native . Front end analogue is sme 30/2 with Lyra Etna lamda sl catridge playing through vandenhul grail Se+ phono stage.( please see my system page for details )
my question is will the otari give me better performance than my digital and vinyl front end . Thank you in advance .
newtoncr
@oldhvymec    Thank you. I am looking for specific information on this deck the otari mtr10. Typical price etc.
1/2 “ I hear is of better quality than 1/4 “.
I have been told making a copy from 1/4 to 1/2 inch may improve the quality of sound. Something similar to upsampling.
He says he can change the head block to a 1/4 “ extended range but recommends against it .
Blank tape for 1/2” is going to be more expensive. 1/4” blank I see is around 110-150$ on a metal spool. Do you know how expensive 1/2” tape is .

There are very few if any "old copies." Back in the early 60's pre recorded tapes were the way to go if you wanted the best sound. My father had an Ampex tape machine for playing them back. Classical and jazz were well represented. All the tapes were at 71/2 ips and made on the cheapest stock. Hiss was always an issue. The vast majority have disintegrated by now. All my inherited ones have been gone since 1976. My Revox A 77 was becoming mechanically inept and I decided not to have it rebuilt as by then the market for pre recorded tapes had dried up. 
$100 for a tape? Try $400 to $500. That is 16 to 20 records or files. I would rather have the records or files than demonstrate to others what a sophisticated audiophile I am. If you are rich enough to do both than who am I to argue but, in my mind it is, in the end, all about the music. I would not mind having an old Scully as a museum piece like an old Victrola.
1/2" tape is for professional use. I wouldn't expect to find many prerecorded tapes. Maybe a master recording.

I used 1/2" in studio and it  sounds wonderful. 

Spending $9K on an Otari is a waste of money. Get an old Revox or Teac and buy some old commercial tapes on eBay. That'll give you a taste of the tape sound. People claiming to have copies of master tapes are pulling your leg! Stick to LPs for Analog! 
before you do anything, you may want to see what is available in tapes first. There are a number of companies that sell them. As others have noted far from cheap. But once you hear true high speed tape it blows the other formats into the weeds. The other comment I will add, is once you spend an evening listening to tape, you MUST power down for the night. Reverting back to any other format is akin to powering up the AM radio for a listening session. Just be careful, once you jump in, C Note bills will fly out of your wallet faster than a bear going after the honey pot.