You can go home again

"My ears were trained on my old JBL."
Recent comment from another post. Do we presently chase a sound baked in our brain from our initial experience with audio?
jpwarren58
I never liked the L100s so no, I'm not pursuing that sound.
And I've heard many of them since they were once ubiquitous.
I dreaded when a customer wanted to listen to the L100's. When they were done listening I would wait for them to make the first comment to see which way the audio wind was blowing. Just Bad Loudspeaker. Glad they updated the sound.
I used to work at a store that sold the old L100s and only carried Dynaco A25s at a super low price to draw customers. If I sold the A25s I made no money. However the A25s were so much better than the L100s it was sick.
...mho....*blink*(...yeah, back 'atcha...*L*) is current taste and prefs are 'informed' by our past 'listening experiences'...

'Dorm racket' is one of many 'worst case' experiences, but it does give a reference as to what to avoid, if anything.

It can take a spell and the experience into what music can really 'be', 'sound like', 'closer to what is heard and felt 'live' and with a collection of equipment one has amassed to 'do so'.

Not all will require 'bleeding edge' items to do that, for whatever their rationale to abstain from that pursuit....

I liked the L100s'....then.  I came, I listened, l left.  Got to 'live' with a pair where I 'worked' for a time.  In an old small warehouse, you could thrash the 'ell out of them and not cook 'em.
Impressive in itself....'chamber music'?  mmmMaybe not so much.... *G*
JBL changed why? Did new companies replace "their" sound to capture that market? There are many who still listen to the vintage JBL's. Stands to reason that newer firms filled that void when JBL changed.