dac choice

I'm thinking about the new Monarchy Dac Model 24 for a second system. Another option that would save me a few bucks is the Channel Islands VDA2. Have you heard either of these dacs? Any thoughts? Thanks
84audio
Recently, I was encouraged to listen to a new Benchmark Dac 1. A friend told me that while the company hasn't changed model numbers, newer units sound better. I've put about 300 hours on a new Benchmark, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds. About 18 months ago I extensively auditioned a Dac 1. Since then Benchmark has begun using Texas Instrument op amps, and has made some other minor changes to the product. For whatever reason, I think the new units are much less sterile and much more listenable. It's the same impressive detail without the harshness. It sure isn't tubes, and I wouldn't call it warm, but if you have only heard an older version, it might be worth a listen to a newer unit.
I'm using the Monarchy M24 now and have also recently put in Siemens NOS goldpin tubes (after about 3 weeks of the stock Sylvania tubes). This DAC has surprised me and may stay in my system. I have not tried the linestage and probably won't as running it through my passive preamp is working well at this time.

While I find the build quality to be very good overall, I think the push buttons on the front have a cheezy feel to them. I also leave the blue light that illuminates the sampling rate off. The sound on the top end still appears to be ever so grainy and bright, especially versus my non-os DAC, but the Monarchy does quite a bit more things right that outweigh this very minor detail.
I am very interested in this thread. Has no one heard the VAC2?

Also - and I've asked this before - the Pacific Valve modded Lite Audio DAC 62 is based on the same platform as the Monarchy M24. It uses a different DAC, but a well-regarded one. It omits the preamp section and volume control, and sells for $750. Unlike Monarchy Audio, both Channel Islands and Pacific Valve offer 30-day return options (100% from CI and through several of its mail order sellers, and 97% refund from Pacific Valve).

For me, the problem is that the Monarchy seems to be almost universally favored over other DACs in this price category, but I am afraid that I will be unhappy once I get it into my rig - something that has happened before. I kknow the resale value of the M24 is quite high, but still, it makes me more nervous than a good return policy (i.e., little or no restock fee).