Cable co. is forcing me to rent or buy what they call a

digital converter box. All i’ve seen are ones to receive over the air broadcast. i couldn’t give a rats ass abouut installing  an outdoor antenna to my house’. So, what is needed to descramble channels. Well i think that’s what is needed. All i’ve seen are for terrestrial tv. thanks 
harley52
Was in same boat. Upgraded modem and router. Had tech difficulties. Purchased another different brand modem but didn’t eliminate the problem. Call cable tech got grief from them because not their modem hardware so will not support. I’m back to square one renting with the cables company equipment. 
So currently paying modem rental fee - not in hurry to risk another tech support merry go round to save rental fees- it’s working that’s the important thing. Got kids at home attending college and gaming and wife working from home so we rely heavily on the internet connection.
Guys please..........routers make your internet wireless around the house; typical range around 60 feet depending on how many walls. Frequencies are 2.4ghz and 5ghz. For greater coverage consider a "mesh router" system with base station and satellite extenders. It is unwise to rent modems and routers, they can be a one time purchase.

You may tune local stations with a digital tuner outputting HDMI and stereo audio; some have Toslink audio out. An indoor wall mount antenna in Scottsdale can pull in sixty channels off the transmitters on South Mountain; all are in the same direction here.