Are all amps being built wrong?

The power amplifiers that drive our loudspeakers are mostly built as a low impedance voltage source. They have always been ... but why?

Loudspeakers have a (greatly) varying impedance over the frequency range. A current drive amplifier would eliminate the issues that stem from this varying impedance, and at the same time make discussions about esoteric speaker cables that strive for optimal R, C, L superfluous. Although there still would be these un-measurable ’this (very expensive) cable sounds better’ debates and opinions ... and that’s OK, that’s part of the fun. :)

So ... why are amplifiers not built as a high impedance current source?

This is an interesting read: https://www.current-drive.info/
rudyb
Well, I was talking in engineering and mathematical generalities.

What is ideal is very different than what we would like to hear.  If you ask me what the best amplifier I ever heard was it was probably the CJ Premiere 12.  If only I had the space and money for them. :)

Best,

Erik
Erik-just for clarity - I was not disagreeing with you, just adding and referencing what you said rather than blather on and being repetitive :-)

It would be very interesting to learn about the intricacies of the Bakoon amplifiers.They are reputed to be current drive and have high output impedance and yet seem to be able to drive many mainstream speakers without problems although they definitely sound best with genuine 8 ohm speakers rather than 4 ohm.It is surprising what speakers even the base model 15 watt will drive and they sound superb.I have owned every type of amplifier other than an OTL and the Bakoon is by far the best sounding.There is just a fundamental rightness to the sound and that is hard to unhear.
It would be interesting to know exactly how the patented SATRI circuit  works but if that information is available it is probably in Japanese.
re: Vandersteen's being hard to drive.
I had 2Cs and then 2Cis and 2Ces.  They were the easiest, least fussy speakers to drive i ever owned.  Drive them with a 20 W NAD 3020 that could NOT drive Spica TC or SC-50s.  Drove them with a pair of tiny Lux tube amps.  They are very resistive, basically 8 ohms, and modest sensitivity (87 dB???).

Look at the impedance curves for heaven's sake.  Do they like good amps? Sure.  Do they like highly capable, high current amps? Sure, i guess. Do they need them to make music? Nope.
... why are amplifiers not built as a high impedance current source?
Mainly because speakers are designed to be driven by a low impedance voltage source. When amps and speakers are co-designed though there exists the possibility to use current drive - I believe Bruno Putzeys has done this on his actives (Kiis) over at least part of the frequency band.