older CD transport vs newer ones.

I added a fairly inexpensive CD transport to my DCS Rossini DAC/Clock and am shocked how much better it sounds spinning a disc vs streaming it.  It's not even a close call.  I was thinking of bettering my CD transport and was looking at options such at the Jay's CD transport.  There are also options such as Mark Levinson 31.5 which was a 10K unit in it's day.  Any thoughts on the best way to go?  I get a little worried about one of these older units breaking and not being able to get it fixed.  
128x128ejlif
"If I were to ever push for an upgrade I would prolly go with the PS Audio Perfect Wave used"

The P.S. Audio PWT has stood the test of time. I've been very happily using it in my system the past 8 or 9 years.  Fellow PWT owners who have purchased or heard the Pro-Ject RS2 Box transport report it surpasses the PWT. This is high praise in my opinion as the PWT is an excellent sounding unit. 
Charles 
I have a JVC XL-Z1010 which I bought new back around 1991, thirty years ago, (yikes!)
The build quality is outstanding, has always performed smoothly and flawlessly, and using the
SPIDIF digital output into a Pro-Tools masteing grade DA/AD converterm the sound quality is probably as good as CD's can produce, which is often stunningly good. It wasn't cheap when it was new ($800) and it's not for sale - but if you find one that is, grab it!

If you have a dac with IS2 connection, it's better if your transport have it to.

I also have a Bryston DAC3.  It has 4 HDMI inputs. I have a large SACD collection.  My Oppo 105 is programmed to output the DSD layer of SACD over HDMI.  I also have a Sony ES SACD player that feeds another HDMI input on the DAC.  The Sony transport sounds a bit smoother than the Oppo but the differences are slight.   For red book I use a Melco transport/ripper that is connected to my Melco N100 NAS/Streamer.  The N100 is connected to the Bryston by usb.  It is a big, bold highly detailed presentation that is quite addictive 
Everything mechanical breaks! My “warm sounding”, “built like a tank” Yamaha CDX-1120 from 1989 cannot be repaired since its laser pickup is unobtainable. It had a lovely output when channeled through my 1969 tube-based system. In my opinion, newer units are more likely to read and play almost all of your CDs. I would go for a company that will continue to support its products in both parts and repair.