Helping a friend build a new system

A good family friend has recently retired and is looking to build a system for his home office. He used to own a nice sound system some 25 years ago but hasn't been actively pursuing the hobby. He was visiting my home a few weeks ago and I guess listening to my system must have inspired him to finally build a new one. He asked me to help set up a new system (new to him, he's willing to buy used). I asked him a bunch of questions to find out what he wants and how much he is willing to spend. His responses are summarized below:

1. Budget -- since he's retired he wants to keep the total system budget to around $7-8K (including cables)
2. Components Needed -- bookshelf speakers, integrated amp, cables. He already has a CD player which would do for now, but he might get into streaming later on. He owns a few hundred CDs.
3. Room size -- around 10x12 with 10 foot ceilings. Fully carpeted with some furniture.  
4. Music genres -- jazz, blues, vocals (he's a big fan of Frank Sinatra, Chet Baker, Billy Holiday, etc.), and R&B
5. Listening preferences -- he is looking for an 'intimate' and cozy experience and wants to try tube amps with high sensitivity bookshelf speakers. He mostly listens at a moderate volume and can be sensitive to high frequencies.

He also mentioned that he has some hearing loss since he's in his early 60s and suffers from a mild case of tinnitus. I'm not sure if this plays a role in the choice of components but I thought it's worth mentioning just in case.

I will really appreciate it if you guys can provide some pointers. Please remember that he is retired so $8k is absolutely the max he can do. System synergy is important. And, please no Tekton or class D recommendations. He really wants to try some affordable tube gear as a starting point.

128x128arafiq
See if DejaVu Audio still stocks the less expensive Audio Note speaker models.

You might also look @ Silverline Audio. They have a $2K, easy to drive, standmount (rear ported though).

DeKay
Raven Nighthawk - $3300
Raven Soniquil interconnects - $134 (1m)
Raven Soniquil power cord- $224 (2m)
LSA-10 Statement monitors - $2500 
Core Power Diamond speaker cable - $299 (8ft) w/LSA-10 purchase
TOTAL - $6457 + shipping/tax (if any)

Just one idea.  Happy hunting, and best of luck. 
I would tell him to go for a vintage american bookshelf speaker with a good used integrated tube amp and some decent kimber wire and interconnects. He will have great sound and for well under the 7 to 8 k mark. I would try a vintage pro audio monitor like the jbl 4310, 11 12 series and a used rogue chronos integrated great combo for way under budget.
I built my system in about the same range. 
Primaluna integrated, Fritz speakers, Cambridge streamer.VERY happy...
Forgot about Reynaud standmount speakers.

Years ago I ran their Twin mkII speakers with a 7 watt Audion Silver Night DH/SET 300B amp in a room twice the size as your friends.

Really nice sound @ moderate SPL's.

Think their new standmount is the Bliss.

DeKay