A 60 year old turntable design is still going strong!

Way before my time but an interesting take on a classic table!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOlhiZ902hY
128x128yogiboy
This design that he talks about, mounting the bearing and arm on the same beam, is used on Origin Live turntables like my Sovereign MkIV. https://youtu.be/8ZkOzh9GFHk?t=5  

Follow the video as it goes around the turntable. The bearing and arm are mounted on a plate that is attached to the plinth. It looks like the bearing goes into the plinth but really it is just a hole, the bearing does not touch the plinth at all.   

The Sovereign has a lot more going on, but in this main design principle is exactly the same as the AR. I had no idea it went back that far. Thanks!
One more idea about how a turntable should be designed.   The concept of things getting out of the way is  optimistic .  Everything  has some  effect.  Having not built  a turntable with that  arm bearing plate combo I really  have no opinion  or  first hand  listening exposure. 

It will be nice when Millercarbon does a review if he compares his rim drive teres with  his  new table and actually  talks about  tone, attack/decay, pitch, body etc...

Enjoy the ride
Tom
Chakster

How many turntables have you built???  How many motor controllers???  How many tone arms???  Do you have a degree in vibration  control?  Etc Etc Etc ...

Trying to understand how you got to your highly detail white paper of 2 words (Awful  design).  Miller Carbon has at least played around with his teres and  knows what mods affected his old table.

Now if you where just referring  to its looks then disregard  the above.  

Enjoy the ride
Tom
Thanks. Not only my Teres either. It started with a Technics SL1700, then Basis 2005. The Basis used belt drive with the motor in a pod along side. This enabled a few different mods, first adding a better power cord to the Basis motor, then replacing the whole Basis motor with the original Teres motor pod. The original Teres motor used a belt.   

A lot of this has been covered in The Miller Carbon Story https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/the-miller-carbon-story and no point repeating it here. Even though it is relevant.   

The Origin Live Sovereign does follow this AR design, the bearing/arm plate anyway, but only in the most superficial or general sense. The Miller Carbon was and is a fine table. I was real happy with it, and still quite sure it will go up very well against a lot out there, at least in the under $5k or so area. But the Sovereign, it is kind of like the Herron VTPH2A, there is so much more going on, so much better than you would think from the price.   

Then there is the technology. Which even after reading and watching everything I could find, even after talking and emailing Mark Baker, still I get the darn thing and immediately a whole bunch of things are catching my eye. Things I immediately get the significance of, but only because of having done so much stuff myself over the years.   

Let me share just one thing, one tiny little thing: the record weight. First, it isn't a weight. Barely 2oz, if that. It doesn't weight, or clamp. It isn't even one solid piece. It moves around and feels like several pieces. It doesn't contact the spindle. It touches the record at only a small triangular area near the center. Compared to my carbon fiber clamp that securely flattens the record to the platter it looks and feels like a joke. But the sound is so much better it is hard to believe! Attack is faster, decay and detail more resolving, tone and timbre a lot more lifelike, on and on.    

The whole table is like this. So many clever little vibration control techniques no way I can cover them all. Even the most thorough reviews I have seen so far have missed a ton of stuff. The general design principle is very close to the AR, but even so has come a long way in 60 years. This thing is a monster!