Record clamp

Hello Audiogon Forum,
I have a Rega P3 turntable with a Kiseki Purple Heart phono cartridge. I am wondering if utilizing a 5.4 ounce light weight record clamp will add to the sound quality at all or will a record clamp hurt the turntable in any way?
Thanks so much for your input.
andyhifiman
Rega table is a low mass but not suspended, so the clamp/light recommendations are spot on. You should get better performance than a heavy weight style, and certainly don’t want to use a heavy weight style on a suspended table (but better match with high mass tables).
If I still had stock, the MyMat with no weight or clamp would be a great decision.
Rega table is a low mass but not suspended, so the clamp/light recommendations are spot on. You should get better performance than a heavy weight style, and certainly don’t want to use a heavy weight style on a suspended table (but better match with high mass tables)
My table was high mass- 25lbs just the platter alone - and the Gravity One easily had greater detail, dynamics, extension, and even bass than when records were clamped tight to the platter. Clearly there is a huge difference between sophisticated designs like the Gravity One and all the others which are basically clamp more and tighter.
 This makes a lot more sense if you study my threads on vibration control, my turntable, Townshend Pods and Podiums, etc. Then it becomes clear rigidly clamping can only take you so far. The greatest benefits by far are allowing the record to move, but in a carefully controlled manner, and dissipate energy as efficiently as possible, and as evenly across the whole range of frequency and dynamics as possible.  

This you cannot do by simply clamping and weighing it down. Not on any table. Of any mass. Or suspension. Or lack thereof.

andyhifiman OP

This sort of light aluminium clamp that screw down onto the record is the best, no weight.
And it even better if you have a small appox 2cm wide by 1mm thick washer on the spindle under the record. This makes the record sit higher in the center, and when the clamp is screwed down it pushes down even better to the edge of the record and takes all the warps out.
https://www.amazon.com/Record-Doctor-Clamp-Black/dp/B077YVJW1T

Cheers George
And speaking of Origin Live, if your turntable uses a flat belt, try the custom belt from Origin Live. It is a substantial upgrade over a stock belt. It gives you better bass, dynamics, and three-D presentation. 

www.originlive.com