I feel bad for GenX'ers that missed out on the 60s and 70s.

I feel sad for GenX'ers and millennials that missed out on two of the greatest decades for music. The 60s and 70s. 

Our generation had Aretha Franklin, Etta James, James Brown, Beatles, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Jimi Hendrix, Donna Summer, Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, The Kinks, The Stones, The Doors, Elton John, Velvet Underground and loads more

We saw these legends live during their peak, concert tickets were cheaper, music was the everything to youth culture, we actually brought album on a vinyl format (none of that crappy CDs or whatever the kids call it).

60s-70s were the greatest time to be a music fan.
michaelsherry59
The best year to be born in this country music-wise was 1947. This would make you thirteen in 1960. It is also the worst time to be born draft-wise. Is there a coincidence between the effect of music on culture and politics? I think so.
Wanna feel old?  "None of those crappy CD's or whatever kids call (them)".   Guess what?  Kids have no idea what a CD is.  Worse,  nearly all of the kids will be alive way after we are dead, and hopefully being composted for our favorite plants.  As a 1960's kid,  I know what my favorite plant was.  Wanna feel really old?  I showed a 30 year old a 45 rpm record.  He asked, "What is that, an 8-track?"   He thought it had to hold 8 songs.  If 45's had actually been that high tech!    
Personally, I regret missing the chariot races in the Roman Circus Maximus.  
I did enjoy the music of the 60s and 70s growing up, on the radio, just as the OP did most likely. There are local radio stations and sirius tunein etc that have the same format as we did, today.

I did go to concerts albeit of a later generation and experience that, fwiw.

I came to the realization that concerts are in reality less about the music, and especially large venues are overrated and really not all that.

So, what am I missing? Is your post in reality pulling from the universal nostalgia of youth? Many of us can sympathize.

There is a book out on Steve Goodman called "Facing the Music". Does anyone have it? There is a CD in the back with twenty some rare Goodman tracks. I did the CD for the author Clay Eals. He was in town a couple of years ago. He was invited to give a talk to a college class at Muhlenburg College. The professor is a friend of mine so I was invited to sit in on the talk. Now these two men are the epitome of the sixties. Intelligent, articulate and likeable. BUT, tried as they did to convey how good Steve Goodmans music is and why younger people need to hear it was LOST on the entire class. (Maybe 30 students). Some asked questions and tried to understand and appreciate what was said but there were no converts that day. It was an interesting hour however. Joe