For ARC lovers, Problems?

I had a ref 6 which I liked a lot and had no problems with. I upgraded to the ref 10 which sounded appreciably better but I ended up with a number of problems that I could no longer tolerate. I have a new pre which is very good but is not nearly as exciting as the audio research sound.
From your experience with Audio Research is this a good idea going back to the ref 6 with the hope of upgrading it to the SE? Or will I regret it due to reliability issues? There are pages on Audiogon concerning ARC reliability issues and I don't want to jump feet first into another expensive audio quicksand.
Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

roxy1927
Very interesting comparisons.  As I mentioned, I received my LS28 back from Audio Research after it was upgraded to SE and, before putting it in the system where it normally resides, decided to compare it to the BHK Signature in my other system (primary source was a VPI Prime with a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC ☆ ES, Bob's Sky, PS Audio Stellar phono pre, BHK Signature 300 monoblock amps, Magneplanar 3.7i's).  I found that the ARC seemed to have more transient detail and, while the image width was similar, the ARC had more apparent depth.

I had read a review of the Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme 1.3 in Enjoy The Music and thought that it might get me closer to what I liked about the ARC without having to spend close to $10K.  As it turns out there is a Backert Labs dealer within driving distance of me (Dr. Vinyl - https://www.drvinyl.net).  Dr Vinyl was kind enough to loan me his Rhumba Extreme 1.3 to try out in my system.  The bottom line is that I bought a Rhumba Extreme 1.3.  In my system, the Rhumba Extreme presented a soundstage that was similar to the LS28SE spatially.  And like the LS28SE, the Extreme seemed more detailed with a deeper soundstage.  Even more striking, though, was how quiet the Extreme was in my system and, probably related, how the Extreme seemed to offer more dynamic contrast between loud and soft passage in the music.

The outcome of these comparisons is that I purchased a Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme 1.3 from Dr. VInyl and have been enjoying it greatly.  Bottom line, though, is all three are really good preamps, and it may come down to the system and individual preferences.  Which is another way of saying, YMMV.
you did you due diligence.  You actually were able to compare in your system three pretty nice pre-amps.  That is great.  You were hearing only the swapped component in the same system, in the same room.  It doesn't get better than that.

I'm glad you are happy.  That is cool.

enjoy