Who is ditching their shiny disc spinners?

I want to upgrade my digital side … (currently Bluesound Vault 2i feeding the DAC of Oppo 105) … plan to spend around $2k … since I’ve ripped all my CDs to the Vault, thinking of spending it all on a DAC, and retire/sell the Oppo while it still has some value. I do have a few older CDPs I could retain as backup, but not sure why I would ever need.

Alternatively, was considering a better combined CDP/DAC like a newer Marantz or Yamaha … upgrades DAC performance some, and a reliable spinner for quite a few more years … but I have very few SACDs, so feeling like this would be the tail wagging the dog.

In what direction have you been migrating?
inscrutable
2748 CD’s ripped to the Naim Unitiserve. NAS drives with mirrored raid and a backup to another NAS…. Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC…

i have nice cd players gathering dust…
Not me. I'll play my CDs until my player dies and just get another one. Back ups always go bad which is why you need to copy and backup even more. It's a never ending process.

Every day I read of how sound improvements pop up with better this and tbetter hat for all the boxes and cabling needed. Instead of simplify, it's more complicated way to do it with so many variables to go wrong.

I don't mind handling CDs. I don't get why people do mind. If you're not handling a CD, you're handling some app instead on your phone or tablet. Never wanted to be a DJ and scroll thru tons of songs I'll never listen to just to say "look how much I have stored but never listen to".

By the time you're all set and ready to go, along comes a better way to do it but it'll cost you even more and require better cabling or some new software or app. And in the end, lots of pro reviewers talk of how their CD always sound better than their streaming set ups.

I'll take their word for it and save myself the hassle.

All the best,
Nonoise
i think you are confusing serving a ripped ( bit perfect ) cd without error correction.. to streaming…

not the same

the boxes of CDs in the garage are…….just another physical backup….

What can I say? I like to wander over to my CD/SACD rack and ponder what I might want to listen to. The same goes with my LP shelves & boxes of singles. I just find it easier to stroll through physical media than to squint at a website.  By the same token, though, maybe I'll bite the proverbial bullet and cruise Qobuz or Primephonic for something I've never heard before. How 'bout a new performance of a Mozart Symphony, an oddball outtake of an old REM tune, or something mentioned in a record review?
maybe I'll bite the proverbial bullet and cruise Qobuz or Primephonic for something I've never heard before.
Finding new music, a lot of which I’d never have found otherwise, is the best thing about streaming IME.  In fact, I find myself listening more to new music than my own stuff, and frankly I’m enjoying and have more fun listening to music than ever before.  Beats the crap outta wandering over to my CD rack for more of the same old stuff, but that’s me.