Best DAC $1000 and under used

What is the best dac you have used that would sell for under$1000 used?What dacs have you listened to that you are using for comparison?
gixerman
At this point my rig is fairly balanced.But the one thing I think could be inproved upon is: IMO the treble is just a little bit hard on the upper freq.thus contributing to listener fatigue.My rig boogies with some pre amps better than others.Boogie factor (#1)Rogue Audio 66 Mag w NOS RCA Cleartops (#2)Audio Research SP 6 C-1 revised (more detailed than the Rogue though) (3)Audible Illusions 2C (this will kick all their butts on unamplified accoustic music and I would call it a giant killer in that area)(4)Conrad Johnson PV11 (too laid back,great on vocals but at the expense of the rest of the music/band)
Yeah, I think the Audio Mirro would be a good one to investigate. It doesn't deviate excessively from neutrality, it has a nice smooth top end and is very dynamic and transparent.
My friend and I directly compared his Audio Mirror D2 with my Bel Canto DAC2 in his system. Bel Canto sounds much smoother. Has stronger bass and dynamic drive. It is also much more fluid sounding in the midrange. And is not as bright as Audio Mirror, but at the same time does not lack detail. We compared the 2 dacs with the same interconnects and power cords, using the same digital cable, and both of us preffered the Bel Canto. It's all matter of synergy of course, but Audio Mirror, as good as it sounds, does not come close to Bel Canto. The difference is very audible.
Just observing the passing circus here, but find it interesting that no one has asked/specified what the transport is. (Or what DAC/player is currently used that Gixerman desires to upgrade. Or what the speakers are for that matter.) My own DAC will sound quite different when fed from different transports or players, even with a jitterbox in between. Without this info, recommendations could be like whistling in the dark...