Best DAC $1000 and under used

What is the best dac you have used that would sell for under$1000 used?What dacs have you listened to that you are using for comparison?
gixerman

Showing 4 responses by gunbei

What type of attributes are you looking for sound wise? After all, many of the mentioned DACs do sound very different from each other.
Good suggestions by Eldarado.

I've owned the Ack! 2.0, Bel Canto 1.1, Kora Hermes I and Audio Mirror D1. They're all good, but interestingly in their own way.

The choice really comes down to what sonic character you're looking for and how that DAC fits with your system in determining pound-for-pound best.
Gixerman, I'll take a stab and say the Audio Mirror DAC might be a good candidate for your system. It's a non-oversampling DAC as Clio09 mentioned, so it sounds smooth, analog yet dynamic. It's the only solid state DAC I've tried that didn't have what I consider a recessed midrange. DACs like the Bel Canto and the Benchmark I'm guessing as well are brighter and leaner and impart will more detail. I found the Bel Canto to be a bit clinical and I thought the Ack! lacked pace and didn't create great scale in my system. The Audio Mirror has good boogie factor and throws a big soundstage, it's also darker sounding than the Ack!, and definitely more so than the Bel Canto and I'm sure the Benchmark as well. It's difficult to predict what effect a DAC will have on your system until you actually try it. The Ack!dAck! has a 21 day trial, so you can see how it will work in your home, and you can return it if you don't like it. How is the balance of your system now?
Yeah, I think the Audio Mirro would be a good one to investigate. It doesn't deviate excessively from neutrality, it has a nice smooth top end and is very dynamic and transparent.