Tried and true recommendations: headphones, amp, source

So long story short - I’m trying to find my way back into hifi after a long bit of life experiences (see http://https//forum.audiogon.com/discussions/long-hiatus-from-audio-getting-back-into-it-speaker-room-help-please for context).

I think based on some thinking, I think I’d like to pursue a reasonably decent high(er) end headphone system for dedicated personal musical enjoyment.

My listening tastes are accoustical, strings, percussion, piano, vocals, jazz, some classical, and maybe a bit of light rock and roll.

Since I’m still learning exactly what I’d need, I’d appreciate folks sharing what they use in a dedicated headphone system. My preferences would be a tube amp, planar headphones, and a digital source/streaming (qobuz?) solution, and budget, lets say $2k? That’s flexible - but I’d like sort of mid-to-upper end gear in terms of accoustics and quality.

Thanks much, appreciate any guidance...
n6gq
Stax electrostatic headphones with the Stax power supply and amplifier.   I used them almost every day when the kids were small and went to bed early.  I have an older set, which in today's dollars would be roughly equivalent to the SR-L700 MK2.  If you can afford them, look no further!  They have held up amazingly well after all these years - ZERO failures or problems!
Thank you - I'm having some difficulty understanding what components are actually needed. Since I have essentially zero music source (CD, Vinyl, etc.) I'd likely just be buying music at a monthly cost, i.e. Tidal or qobuz I guess? Then I need to figure out whats the right way to get that material into a DAC->AMP->headphones? This is where I'm a bit confused, and hence my questions about what a "system" looks like. I.e. a fully functioning music listening experience on a table. 

Stax was one set I was looking at, and I'd like to try them out...
At your budget I’d shy away from a tube amp if you’re looking at planar ‘phones. While you can certainly build a very decent headphone rig for $2k, IMO if you can up it closer to $3k you’ll be at a significantly higher level of performance. Also, to keep costs down at least for now and if you have decent WiFi, I’d recommend running a USB cable from your phone or tablet (running Qobuz) to a DAC so it can handle the source/streaming functions until you can justify a better dedicated streamer. So, here is an idea for a pretty excellent headphone setup given what you’re looking for...

• Hifiman Arya open-back planar headphones - $1599
  • Singxer SA-1 Class A headphone amp/ preamp - $599
  • Musician Pegasus R2R DAC - $1100
Just my initial stab at it FWIW, but there are other great alternatives to each of the above depending on your particular tastes. I think this system would synergize well and provide an expansive soundstage (for headphones anyway) with very good tonality and excellent and refined upper-level detail. Hope this helps, and best of luck building a satisfying system.
Thanks @soix for the thoughts and ideas. They're right on I think. I just bought a pair of HifiMan Sundara phones to try out, and since they're middle of the road I can start there and determine if they are "good enough" or if I want to try something upwards from there. 

I'm also going to start building the DAC/Amp side of things and I think I'm starting to understand it...
My headphone recommendation is for Stax electrostatics. I have used them for many years and appreciate their clear, fast sound. As far as the price, there are many combinations of phones and amps to choose from. As an example, today on Audiogon I found a used pair of Stax 404 phones, with a tube amp (Stax, of course) for around $800. That leaves room in your budget for a transport and DAC.