Zappa Recommendations ?

Are there any Zappa releases that are strictly instrumental?

If so, please list them. 

stuartk
As FZ once said, all his music would be instrumental, if it weren’t for the fact that there’s no market for that in ’modern’ pop culture. So vocals were a necessary requirement to get his material in the market place. But if you can grasp the human voice as just another musical instrument, the whole catalogue is open to investigation. Which is as it should.

My no.1 recommendation would be ’Uncle Meat’. While it has some vocals - mostly for comic relief - this is some of the most intricate instrumental music ever put on tape. It’s like looking at one of those fractal images, where a few recognizable patterns (in this case musical ’themes’) are being juggled around in constantly changing variations and/or instrumentations. For me it’s the ultimate expression of Zappa’s project/object narrative. ’You need a chicken to measure it’.....

Roxy & elsewhere, Hot rats, Guitar, Yellow shark (not great but respect as his last), Burnt Weeny, but he had great stuff in everything he made and left too early.
@edgewear:

I recently watched a documentary about FZ where he said something to the effect that, in his view, "the absurd" was the primary reality. 

No doubt, this was a major factor that determined the flavor of the vocals he felt were "necessary" to provide to meet the dermands of "Pop culture" (if that phrase isn't an oxymoron, I don't know what is). 

I suppose this could be viewed as something somewhat akin to Dadist art. My BA is in studio art so I've been exposed to many styles but although I can appreciate what the Dada artists were doing, the work itself doesn't appeal to me, aesthetically and this is the exactly the issue I encounter with the vocals in Zappa's music.  Although I share many of his opinions regarding the aspects of american culture he delights in poking fun at, I don't as a rule enjoy satire as a fundamental focus of music. The best adjective I can think of to describe how the vocals in Zappa's music sound to me is "cartoonish", which is not a quality that I find esthetically appealing.  In other words, I'm unable to regard the human voice "as just another instrument" where Zappa's music is concerned. 

When listening to music with vocals, I want to be able to idenitify or at least empathize with the story the singer is telling and with Zappa's music, this cartoonish quality has the effect of constantly undermining any such identification, which, to be honest, I find pretty frustrating.