How to design a high end crossover…

My joke as the sun rises…

Requirements for the casual designer:

$4k worth of reference premium inductors, capacitors and resistors just laying about…

Zero out speakers on manufacturers specs before 5 pm.

Add 1/5 of excellent bourbon, branch water, natch.

Test each driver on a, in the old days scope, Ha! 
Computer program or four…

Fiddle with 1st-4th level crossovers for each driver, in this case, in a three way system.

Play your favorite test tracks, Opera thru Rock, change X-over components, pushing and pulling, repeat till the sun rises, or the victim slays the opponent, (manufactures x-over), on the audio analyzer, then refine with the ear, (having been to every concert on that albums release), knowing what the artist intended…

Thank Mom or Dad for the leisure afforded to you to do this ad infinitem.

Love the newfound resolution…

Plan B: Make money, know when to quit, play with this stuff as you personal inside joke.

Wait for post to be retracted… Go to hammock…
128x128william53b
william53b, congratulations on your discoveries. It's a humbling thing to realize that one's preconceptions are faulty, and your admission of it publicly may be of help to participants here. An a priori commitment to measurements prevents many from advancing their system, one reason for my adage; the greatest impediment to advancing an audio system is the audiophile.  

You may find my review of the Aspen Acoustics Lagrange L5 MkII at Dagogo.com, my most recent work, especially interesting among the speaker articles I have written. I would guess that much of what Scott Kindt of Aspen Acoustics is doing in creating his speakers would be of value to you.  

@douglas_schroeder

👍

Some people only post to prove how much they know. I'm conversational by nature, so like to post and reply that way.

Besides, I made headway the other night, and that's what truly matters, is t it?
OP thankfully I haven’t had to break in to many pieces of equipment, cabling or otherwise over the last 6 months or so. A phono/tape pre amp and my V12r had new parts that took over 200 on the Cary and I’m at 300 on the Decware.

Cabling, literally 1000 hours to plug and play within 24 hours of hooking them back up..

I’ve seen people plug drop and call it good.

I’ve seen others carefully remove their nurtured, conditioned and static bagged prizes. String them out NEVER touching the floor (on risers). THEN discharge themselves remover the static terminal covers add contact enhancer and torque the securement nut to 50 inch pounds, back off 3 times and a 4th torque to 60-75 inch pounds.. The amp terminals first then to the speaker end, discharge again through the ground side of the cable and hook that end up.. Picky.. I’m picky and it pays great dividends

Maybe some folks like the "BRAND NEW" sound, me I’m running the other direction a full 2 weeks on a phono stage, cable, cart change and tonearm rewire.. Preamps, amps and cables 24/7 will do. A week of playing, no listening. I only turn them off to do a cable check (tight). I monitor with a thermal gun. I can usually tell if something isn’t quite right. Left to right temps and ambient vs gear difference..

Paying attention more to thermal changes than anything else..

The shops, wood and metal, THEN. Now, Wood and storage, I HATE working metal any more, just hate it.. I hung up my mechanic tool, thank GOD. I never thought I’d say that.. 14 year old working in service stations until I was 62, and came up with a broken neck. Two disk and a lot of bone chips..:-) I HATE wrenching now, at least the HD side.. Electronic side easy peasy. OBD2 and CAN buss is on everything now..

This stuff stereo, is a walk in the park to fix or make for that matter, really it’s NOT rocket science..

More like a door on a 64 VW with a whole lot of lipstick on it.. That people charge a whole lot of money for.. I got no real problem with that. They better have great customer service though, I will chew them up and SPIT them out.. No problem with that and or a plane ticket..

Almost went to Perth, behind a SA that sold me a pile of $hit.. Money was no object for me.. I should have sicked george on them.. ;-)

LOL we’re talking about how to make a turntable quiet. Try to get a power plant quiet for a offshore drill rigs with 5 generator plants on board, and 25 pissed off workers complaining of FEELING the stupid thing..

Caisson, dam face, deep mine, or pressure work.. SUCKS too.. Hard on the ol body..

I’ll take the turntable, the crossover, or the speaker build for that matter OP Yup Yup.... It's all easier than what I use to do..

Have fun.. Puff Puff pass..:-)

Regards
Post removed 
Simple, don't even bother with a XO at the speakers. Instead do the crossover at pre amp level and have separate amps for every driver.