Best Preamp and Amp combination, interesting finding!!!

Hi all,

Yesterday, I decided to conduct a very interesting experience using my amp and preamp combinations. In the interest of fair discussion and also avoiding brand war, please allow me to conceal the name of the amps and preamps, knowing that both amps and preamps came from the same manufactures. The combinations are as below: 

Combination 1 (C1): $3000 preamp + $1000 amp
Combination 2 (C2): $1000 preamp + $3000 amp.

I went back and forth between C1 and C2 several times with multiple people, using the same speakers and DAC. The volume of both C1 and C2 was adjusted to be equal using my Db meter. 
At the end of the experience, almost everyone including me prefers C1. Which is a higher-end preamp combined with the lower-end amp. 
I was surprised by that finding. I always thought that the amp has a greater impact to sound quality, but my experiment proved otherwise. If you have any similar experiences, please let me know. I would like to understand why it happens that way. Why the preamp has a greater impact on the overall sound quality comparing to the amp?
128x128viethluu
With a reference to an upgrade in resolution and soundstaging to an existing quality system, and assuming the speakers are end game, the amp has proven compatible with the speakers, the pre compatible to the amp, and the source components are commensurate with the upgrade, I would upgrade the preamp over the amplifier. 

Based on some comments that have been posted on other threads I hope my use of commas in that long winded sentence passes muster :-).
 Keeping the signal digital and in the digital domain into a digital power amp where it is converted to analog for your speakers will produce the best possible sound.

Wow, talk about blanket statements. 

In any case, there is really no such thing as a "digital power amp" despite the fact that some manufacturers call them that.  There are some amps that accept a digital signal that has been manipulated (distorted) to control volume but even then they just move the DAC into the box with the amplifier where they do the D to A and amplify it. 

I have enjoyed reading this post that was deemed irrelevant by some.  The debate goes on...
I have much enjoyed the reliable performance and clean open sound of my (now 30+years old) Audible Illusions Modulus II, tubed pre amp. Over the years It has been paired with PSE, Bryston, Adcom, Krell and Ayre, SS power amps and with a VAC Phi 200 and Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP, tubed power amps. Even though it revealed subtle differences between each of the power amps, it paired well and sounded very good with all of them. Of all, my favorite combination was with the VAC - a less than $500 pre amp paired with a $11,000 power amp sounded incredible.......Jim