A full range speaker?

Many claim to be, but how many can handle a full orchestra’s range?

That range is from 26hz to around 12khz including harmonics, but the speakers that can go that low are few and far between. That is a shame, since the grand piano, one of the center points of many orchestral and symphonic performances, needs that lower range to produce a low A fully, however little that key is used.

I used to think it was 32hz, which would handle a Hammond B-3’s full keyboard, so cover most of the musical instruments range, but since having subs have realized how much I am missing without those going down to 25hz with no db’s down.

What would you set as the lower limit of music reproduction for a speaker to be called full range?

I’m asking you to consider that point where that measurement is -0db’s, which is always different from published spec's.
128x128william53b
The entire audible environment for Humans measure at 15Hz - 150kHz.

Where do you guys get your information from?

pragmasi
198 posts
07-16-2021 10:08am
The entire audible environment for Humans measure at 15Hz - 150kHz.

Where do you guys get your information from?

Even IF this were true 15hz - 150k hz. who really cares. 
Orch is 60hz-2khz. 
Thats all i listen to is classical. 

@mozartfan
Not saying I believe it... I'm interested to know where the information is published. BTW you need to consider the audible harmonics so if you rolled off at 2k it wouldn't sound so great... I'm sure you know that but thought I'd just be clear.
I have systems that are 3 dB down at 45 Hz, 24 Hz and 20 Hz, the latter augmented by a pair of powered subs that are 3 dB down at 16 Hz, which is well below what is audible (although it can certainly be felt).  The latter are used only for video, not for normal audio listening.

I'd draw the line at 30 Hz for realistic reproduction of orchestral  music, but I find the system with the highest roll off the best for listening to strings and unamplified music (ironically they take up the most space as they are electrostatic panels).

Do you miss much by not being able to go below 30 dB at a listenable volume?  Probably not unless you are a video fan and have a system able to reproduce it all.  And much of the time you aren't hearing the fundamental note but rather the higher harmonics anyway.

It is fun to sometimes put on some of the relatively few full size organ recordings with some content below 20 Hz but you can't really hear anything down there, you feel it, and may hear the overtones.  Not a huge number of organs that can reproduce 16Hz anyway - 32 foot pipes take up a lot of space.
Since Asked.. For those that care...

Inaudible High-Frequency Sounds Affect Brain Activity: Hypersonic Effect
https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/jn.2000.83.6.3548

There are two factors that may have some bearing on this issue.
First, it has been suggested that infrasonic exposure may possibly have an adverse effect on human health suggesting that the biological sensitivity of human beings may not be parallel with the “conscious” audibility of air vibration.

Second, the natural environment, such as tropical rain forests, usually contains sounds that are extremely rich in HFCs over 100 kHz. From an anthropogenetic point of view, the sensory system of human beings exposed to a natural environment would stand a good chance of developing some physiological sensitivity to HFCs. It is premature to conclude that consciously inaudible high-frequency sounds have no effect on the physiological state of listeners.

To measure human physiological responses to HFCs, we selected two noninvasive techniques: analysis of electroencephalogram (EEG) and positron emission tomography (PET) measurements of the regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF).  EEG has excellent time resolution, is sensitive to the state of human brain functioning, and places fewer physical and mental constraints on subjects...On the other hand, PET provides us with detailed spatial information on the neuroanatomical substrates of brain activity. Combining these two techniques with psychological assessments, we provide evidence herein that inaudible high-frequency sounds have a significant effect on humans.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0114/the_world_beyond_20khz.htm

To fully meet the requirements of human auditory perception I believe that a sound system must cover the frequency range of about 15Hz to at least 40kHz (some say 80kHz or more)...

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290557870_Design_and_Evaluation_of_Electronic_Circuit_for_P...
  A plasma speaker produces sound through an electrical arc.  It works by heating air, causing nearby air molecules to vibrate and expand. This releases a pressure wave, which is heard as sound...  The primary advantage of a plasma speaker for sound reproduction is that there is no diaphragm and therefore no mechanical mass. This means a plasma speaker has the potential to reproduce sound with high fidelity up to 150 kHz.