Best Preamp and Amp combination, interesting finding!!!

Hi all,

Yesterday, I decided to conduct a very interesting experience using my amp and preamp combinations. In the interest of fair discussion and also avoiding brand war, please allow me to conceal the name of the amps and preamps, knowing that both amps and preamps came from the same manufactures. The combinations are as below: 

Combination 1 (C1): $3000 preamp + $1000 amp
Combination 2 (C2): $1000 preamp + $3000 amp.

I went back and forth between C1 and C2 several times with multiple people, using the same speakers and DAC. The volume of both C1 and C2 was adjusted to be equal using my Db meter. 
At the end of the experience, almost everyone including me prefers C1. Which is a higher-end preamp combined with the lower-end amp. 
I was surprised by that finding. I always thought that the amp has a greater impact to sound quality, but my experiment proved otherwise. If you have any similar experiences, please let me know. I would like to understand why it happens that way. Why the preamp has a greater impact on the overall sound quality comparing to the amp?
128x128viethluu
Yes and no, assuming the amps output the same amount then I would agree the more expensive preamp matters more. I’ve done a similar thing with McIntosh gear, Rotel Preamps and Emotiva amps. 
On La Scalas the Mac c47 preamp + Emotiva XPA2 amp sounded better then a Rotel Preamp with a MC275. The same was true with B&W 683s. The interesting thing is that the Rotel preamp with the XPA2 sounded better then the c47 + MC275 combo since those power hungry speakers needed a lot more power to come alive.
And all this is why the hifi world is doomed.  No one understands nothin.  

Why do you need a preamp? I eliminated my analog setup so I use my PSA DS sr dac straight to my amp. I think the amp is more important than a preamp: some of the speakers I have owned required a more powerful amp to get the best sound out of the speakers. You won’t find a quality amp for $1000. If an amp can’t power your speakers adequately, then it really doesn’t matter how a preamp sounds
As far as electronics go, I completely concur. I also State not unlike the other fellow earlier on in this thread that the preamp is truly the heart of your stereo system.

And that the attenuator in the preamp is critical. 

In my system my preamp is about 2/3's the cost of my monoblicks.
Pre-amp is usually the heart of the audio system, every component is connected to it except the speaker. This usually can make or break a setup if not done correctly. The pre-amp will drive the amp correctly if it matches well.